How do I get ONLY new info from 1 Worksheet to another automatical

  1. #1
    Elaine
    Guest

    How do I get ONLY new info from 1 Worksheet to another automatical

    I am using Excel 2003, Windows XP Pro SP2
    I have a Multiple Worksheet file
    I do not know how to create or use Macros, but I am fairly good at using
    functions.

    Worksheet 1 has pre-existing data in ALL cells in Columns A & C.
    It also has pre-existing data in SOME cells in Column B but not in all.

    When I enter new info in Worksheet 1, Column B (cell B65 for example) I want
    Info from Worksheet 1, Cell A65 copied to Worksheet 2, Cell A2 AND
    Info from Worksheet 1, Cell B65 copied to Worksheet 2, Cell B2 AND
    Info from Worksheet 1, Cell C65 copied to Worksheet 2, Cell C2

    How would I write a function to accomplish this?
    Go To Worksheet 2, Cell L2 and use the info from Worksheet 1, Cell A65, THEN
    move to Worksheet 2, Cell M1 and use the info from Worksheet 1, Cell B65,
    THEN move to Worksheet 2, Cell N1 and use the info from Worksheet 1, Cell C65.

  2. #2
    S Davis
    Guest

    Re: How do I get ONLY new info from 1 Worksheet to another automatical

    Im sure your question is more complicated than this as Im having a bit
    of trouble understanding, but it sounds like all you need to do is
    this:

    (in cell L1 on "worksheet 2")
    ='Worksheet 1'!A65

    That should do it.
    Note two things - 1st, Worksheet 1 is just the name of the sheet,
    whatever you have chosen to name it... change it to fit. 2nd, the '
    surrounding Worksheet 1 are only needed when the sheet's name has a
    space in it. You could leave them out if the sheet was titled
    Worksheet1.

    HTH (though probably not...)
    -Sean

  3. #3
    S Davis
    Guest

    Re: How do I get ONLY new info from 1 Worksheet to another automatical

    As an aside, you can copy the original data over and then use an if
    statement to compare the new data with the old data, then use whats
    mentioned above to bring the old data over.

    Ie. copy all data over (ABC becomes ABC and DEF). On Worksheet 2 create
    a formula that just says:

    =if('Worksheet 1'!d1<>'Worksheet 1'!a1,'Worksheet 1'!a1,"")

    That'll just compare the new data with the old data and bring over only
    the new data. Bit gimmicky though.

  4. #4
    Elaine
    Guest

    Re: How do I get ONLY new info from 1 Worksheet to another automat

    Thanks for the prompt answer but that doesn't work for this problem (It works
    fine if info in WS-2 is in the same order as WS-1 but it isn't.).

    WS-1 is the master list with over 1,000 rows and 65 colums.
    ALL cells in ALL columns EXCEPT Column B contain info.
    SOME of the cells in Column B contain info. This is the deciding factor
    whether info will be put in WS-2 or not.

    WS-2 is a sub list which only contains info only IF Column B of WS-1 has NEW
    info entered into it. Existing info in Column B of WS-1 should be ignored.

    The rows in this WS-2 do not refer to sequential rows in WS-1. (For example
    if I enter
    data in WS 1, cell B65 I want WS 2 to automatically add a row and contain
    the info from WS 1, cells A 65, B65 and C65. The next entry of info in WS1
    might be on row 325 or row 3 etc.)

    I want WS-2 to automatically add a row at the bottom & enter data in 3 cells
    when NEW info is entered in ANY BLANK cell of column B WS-1 ONLY.

    I hope this makes my problem a bit more clear. Thanks again for the help.

    Elaine

  5. #5
    Elaine
    Guest

    Re: How do I get ONLY new info from 1 Worksheet to another automat

    Thanks, again. But I think this is too cumbersome due to the size of WS-1.
    Also, as you can see from my previous reply WS-2 is much smaller than WS-1
    and CANNOT show any info that does not fit the criteria outlined.

  6. #6
    S Davis
    Guest

    Re: How do I get ONLY new info from 1 Worksheet to another automat

    Actually I've had your exact same problem before. There is a solution
    listed somewhere in these archives. Try searching for 'Delete Duplicate
    Data' as that was what I was trying to do. The concept should remain
    the same.

    I have the solution on my PC at home in a file. I'll try and dig it out
    and reply here when i get home.

  7. #7
    Elaine
    Guest

    Re: How do I get ONLY new info from 1 Worksheet to another automat

    Thank you. I really appreciate it.