Can I compile data in sequentially numbered worksheets easier?

  1. #1
    Suzy
    Guest

    Can I compile data in sequentially numbered worksheets easier?

    I have data in sequentially numbered worksheets; such as "7-7-1", "7-7-2", etc.

    I would like to compile data found in certain cells of these worksheets--the
    same cell in each sheet.

    Right now I start with something like "='7-7-1'!$O$45" and then just drag
    down to copy and manually change the "7-7-1" part to "7-7-2" and so on.

    Is there a way to do this more efficiently?

    I have figured out how to use the CONCATENATE function to make a string that
    matches the "='7-7-1'!$O$45" part, but I don't know how to use this further.

    Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Sydney, Australia
    MS-Off Ver
    2013 64bit
    Posts
    1,394
    Maybe you could use the indirect() function. You can then build an address by combining data in different cells. ie

    in column A, enter 1, 2, 3 etc down the column
    in B1, enter "=7-7-"&A1&"!$O$45"
    in C1 enter indirect (B1)

    copy the whole lot down the columns and it should give you what you want.

    Matt

  3. #3
    Suzy
    Guest

    Re: Can I compile data in sequentially numbered worksheets easier?

    Thanks! The indirect function works perfectly!