How do I use a pivot table to present data, not sum or count it.

  1. #1
    Rick
    Guest

    How do I use a pivot table to present data, not sum or count it.

    Here is my problem, I have one database with three fields, Name, Exam, Date
    Taken. I want a pivot or other report which shows the names in rows and the
    exam type in columns. The data section of the report needs to just present
    the date the exam was taken. The pivot table is perfect except it wants to
    operate on the data (sum, count, average, etc.) Is there a way to just have
    it present the data. Or, is there another function that would do that?

    Rick

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Sydney, Australia
    MS-Off Ver
    2013 64bit
    Posts
    1,394
    Assuming for each name, there is only one exam and 1 date, try using the min or max option instead of count or sum. format the max of date field to be a date.

    Matt

  3. #3
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: How do I use a pivot table to present data, not sum or count it.

    What would you do if the same person took the same exam more than once? I
    think you'd have to choose either the first date ('Min'), the last date
    ('Max') or an intermediate date ('Average'). Since the pivot has to allow
    for the possiblity of duplicates, you need to choose whichever function comes
    closest to what you'd want. Of course, if you never have duplicates, then
    those three options all return identical -- and correct -- results.
    (BTW, you'll probably want to right-click on one of the filled in data cells
    and select Field Settings; from there, choose a better label and format
    (click on Number... and choose Date)).

  4. #4

    Present Data in Pivot

    I'm looking for something similar where I want to list the values in the pivot

    In my case I have a large list of systems used by our various DIVISIONS by Different REGION. I wany my rows and columns to be GROUP and REGION...and the "value" to be the list of systems used by that Group/Division combination. In some cases two different groups or regions share the same system and it's value is repeated as another row.

    I can't figure out how to do this.

  5. #5
    step_andy

    "Rick" wrote:

    > Here is my problem, I have one database with three fields, Name, Exam, Date
    > Taken. I want a pivot or other report which shows the names in rows and the
    > exam type in columns. The data section of the report needs to just present
    > the date the exam was taken. The pivot table is perfect except it wants to
    > operate on the data (sum, count, average, etc.) Is there a way to just have
    > it present the data. Or, is there another function that would do that?
    >
    > Rick

    Rick,
    You need to choose "Product" option. Go into Field settings and select
    product.
    Cheers
    Andy