how do i get only the decimal value in excel

  1. #1
    vardoo
    Guest

    how do i get only the decimal value in excel

    i just want to retrive the decimal value for a paticular number eg (23.45 , i
    just want 45). is there an inbuilt function in excel?

    thank you

  2. #2
    Scott P
    Guest

    RE: how do i get only the decimal value in excel

    Hi -- there is a way to return the fractional part of a number (in a
    fractional form) using a function (or two) in Excel.

    If you want a positive value for the fractional part of the number
    (irrespective of the sign of your particular number), place your number of
    interest (e.g. 23.45) in cell A1 and try this formula: =ABS(A1-TRUNC(A1))

    If you want the fractional part of the number to reflect the sign of your
    particular number (e.g. -0.45 for -23.45), place your number of interest
    (e.g. 23.45) in cell A1 and try this formula: =A1-TRUNC(A1)

    I hope that helps.

  3. #3
    MartinW
    Guest

    Re: how do i get only the decimal value in excel

    Hi vardoo,

    =A1-INT(A1) will return 0.45

    =(A1-INT(A1))*100 will return 45

    HTH
    Martin

  4. #4
    Scott P
    Guest

    Re: how do i get only the decimal value in excel

    Thanks, Martin. Vardoo and Martin -- I would only note two things regarding
    the two formulas below (1) if you use INT instead of TRUNC with negative
    numbers, different results will be returned for different numbers (e.g. the
    below INT formula will return 0.55 if you pass in -23.45 as the argument --
    the Excel help file provides good coverage of the difference between INT and
    TRUNC) and (2) the use of a multiplier to remove the decimal point from the
    result can get more involved if you are not sure that the fractional part of
    the number will contain two digits (e.g. 45).

    I hope that helps.

  5. #5
    Inida
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Thumbs up Re: how do i get only the decimal value in excel

    Excellent working fine

  6. #6
    Richland, Washington
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: how do i get only the decimal value in excel

    It is a bit complicated, but I will give you the answer
    First consider just sum of the dollars
    The formula in the cell will be =SUM(V35:V51)
    Add to it the sum of the cents column but the cents sum must be divided by 100 =SUM(V35:V51)+(SUM(W35:W51)/100)
    And then you just want the whole dollars part, so just take the integer =INT(SUM(V35:V51)+(SUM(W35:W51)/100))

    For the total in the cents column you take the whole sum and subtract the integer part to get just the cents
    =SUM(V35:V51)+(SUM(W35:W51)/100)-INT(SUM(V35:V51)+(SUM(W35:W51)/100))
    But you need to format this cell to a two digit number with no places after the decimal, so multiply it by 100
    =(SUM(V35:V51)+(SUM(W35:W51)/100)-INT(SUM(V35:V51)+(SUM(W35:W51)/100)))*100

    Hope this helps at tax time
    Ron