Extracting tab names

  1. #1
    MLK
    Guest

    Extracting tab names

    If this question is out here twice, I apoligize. I submitted it once, but
    don't think the question got posted.

    I have 6 tabs in an Excel worksheet. I create a 7th tab by consolidating
    all the data from the other 6 tabs. Is it possible (by using a function) to
    display which tab name the data came from?

    For example, if 6 rows of data came from tab 1, I would like to display the
    tab name with those 6 rows, and so on.

    Thanks,

  2. #2
    vezerid
    Guest

    Re: Extracting tab names

    You have two options:
    Either you do it manually or you somehow automate the process with VBA.
    In the latter case you would somehow select the cells to move to the
    consolidation sheet and VBA would add the source sheet name next to the
    transferred data.

    HTH
    Kostis Vezerides

  3. #3
    Tom Hutchins
    Guest

    RE: Extracting tab names

    If (for example) a cell on your consolidating sheet is pulling its data from
    Sheet1, cell A4, the following formula will return the sheet name (Sheet1):

    =RIGHT(CELL("Filename",Sheet1!A4),LEN(CELL("Filename",Sheet1!A4))-FIND("]",CELL("Filename",Sheet1!A4),1))

    Alternatively, you could put a formula like the following in a cell (say, E4):
    =CELL("Filename",Sheet1!A4)
    In F5 on the same row, enter:
    =RIGHT(E4,LEN(E4)-FIND("]",E4,1))
    Hide column E.

    Hope this helps,

    Hutch

  4. #4
    Tom Hutchins
    Guest

    RE: Extracting tab names

    "In F5 on the same row" should be "In column F, in the same row"

    Regards,

    Hutch

  5. #5
    MLK
    Guest

    RE: Extracting tab names

    Excellent! I just tried this out and it works great. Many thanks.

  6. #6
    MLK
    Guest

    Re: Extracting tab names

    I'm doing this with functions at the moment - but would like to eventually
    switch to VBA ... I'm currently a newbie to VBA.

    Thanks.