Performance IF(IF or IF(AND

  1. #1
    Paul Dennis
    Guest

    Performance IF(IF or IF(AND

    I have a large spreadsheet which currently has 4000 * 12 cells in use each
    with 3 calculations in nested if, hence 144,000 calc.
    e.g.
    If (A1 <> "",IF(SUMPRODUCT(--FRED),SUMPRODUCT(--FRED)," ")," ")
    ..i.e. if A1 is blank then display space or if sum of FRED is 0 then display
    space

    would it be quicker to use IF(AND, eg.
    IF(AND(A1, <> "",SUMPRODUCT(--FRED)),SUMPRODUCT(--FRED)," ")

    The reason I'm asking is it's taking a long time to run currently.

  2. #2
    vezerid
    Guest

    Re: Performance IF(IF or IF(AND

    Paul,

    Is FRED a static or dynamic name? If it is static then you don't have
    to calculate it every time, you can just calculate it in a separate
    cell, say Z1. Then your formula can become:

    =IF(OR(A1="",NOT(Z1))," ",Z1)

    If it is a dynamic name, e.g. calculates differently depending on the
    cell row then you can use an extra column to calculate the result for
    each row and use a similar formula.

    Does this help?
    Kostis Vezerides

  3. #3