How do I calculate times each word occurs in a column of cells?

  1. #1
    MTSusce
    Guest

    How do I calculate times each word occurs in a column of cells?

    Rather than use a complicated array formula, is there a simpler way to
    determine how many times a particular word occurs in a range of cells in a
    column? Thank you.

  2. #2

    Re: How do I calculate times each word occurs in a column of cells?

    If the word only occurs once per cell (or 0 per cell):

    =countif(a1:a100,"*yourword*")

    If the word can occur more than once in a cell, then you'll need something else.

  3. #3
    MTSusce
    Guest

    Re: How do I calculate times each word occurs in a column of cells

    Thanks, Dave. :^) Meg

  4. #4
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: How do I calculate times each word occurs in a column of cells?

    <<<"If the word can occur more than once in a cell, then you'll need
    something else.">>>

    Here's one "something else"<g>, with word to count entered into C1:

    =SUMPRODUCT(LEN(A2:A100)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(UPPER(A2:A100),UPPER(C1),"")))/LEN(C1)

    RD

    news:[email protected]...