enter item code in one column, automatically get description in ne

  1. #1
    Shelley Kingston
    Guest

    enter item code in one column, automatically get description in ne

    I want to be able to enter a product code in one column and based on the code
    i have entered, get the product description to automatically appear in the
    column next to it.

    There are approx. 150 product codes and descriptions.

    I have all of the data saved in a separate spreadsheet, but can hide it on
    the active spreadsheet if necessary.

    Can this be done? (Please explain in simple terms!!)

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: enter item code in one column, automatically get description in ne

    Shelley,

    Assuming your product code/product description data is in (for example)
    Sheet2 columns A & B, and you enter a product code in A2 on Sheet1, then in
    B2 on Sheet1 put:

    =IF(isna(vlookup($A2,sheet2!$A:$B,2,false)),"",vlookup($A2,sheet2!$A:$B,2,false))

    This will return the product description or blank if no product code found.

    Change sheet names and ranges to suit.

    [Copy formula down column B if required]

    HTH

  3. #3
    Vikky
    Guest

    Re: enter item code in one column, automatically get description in ne

    Hi Shelley;

    You can use VLOOKUP for the same.

    Main Data sheet:

    1 A AB 234