SUMIF - counting across different spreadsheets

  1. #1

    SUMIF - counting across different spreadsheets

    I'm starting a new thread, as I'm not sure if people have seen my reply in the old thread - please let me know if this is a problem!

    New day - new problem!

    My manager has now asked for a SUMIF summary to be on a separate spreadsheet (so that she can look at it along with other summaries)

    Unfortunately, using this formula:
    =SUMIF('S:\Internal\Sales Figures\2006-2007\[ES 06-07 Spreadsheet.xls]Activity'!$A$3:$A$1001,1,'S:\Internal\Sales Figures\2006-2007\[ES 06-07 Spreadsheet.xls]Activity'!$C$3:$C$1127)

    just brings up a #Value! unless the spreadsheet it is linking to is open. If the linked to spreadsheet is opened, then closed, then I get the figures untill I close the summary spreadsheet. Then, when I reopen the summary spreadsheet, and click on Update (which I would need to if any of the other sections that this spreadsheet links to had been updated), I get #Value! again.

    I can't see why this doesn't work when the more simple formulae (eg a straight ='S:\Internal\Sales Figures\2006-2007\[ES 06-07 Spreadsheet.xls]Summary'!$B$21) do. What am I doing wrong?

  2. #2

    Re: SUMIF - counting across different spreadsheets

    =sumif() doesn't work with closed workbooks.

    You could write it as =sum(if(...))
    (and enter as an array formula)

    But you can't use the whole column.

    And I'm confused about what range you're checking with: $1:$65536

    =sumproduct() can work with closed workbooks, too:

    =sumproduct(--(thatlongstring...!$a$3:$a$1001=1),
    (thatlongstring...!$b$1:$c$1001))

    Adjust the ranges to match--but you can't use whole columns.

    =sumproduct() likes to work with numbers. The -- stuff changes trues and falses
    to 1's and 0's.

    Bob Phillips explains =sumproduct() in much more detail here:

    And J.E. McGimpsey has some notes at:
    http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/doubleneg.html

    ========
    Ps. Watch your ranges--they didn't match!

    $A$3:$A$1001
    $C$3:$C$1127

    Not sure which should be used.

  3. #3
    Thanks - I'll take a look at those links. (poor brain isn't working very well with this heat...)

    The ranges don't match because I did a scroll down when selecting them - we are not anticipating getting to 1000 visits or quotes over the year!

    I have a feeling that the only way I can do this (as I have to be able to look at the whole column) is to use the sumif within the individual workbooks, and then do an = across to the summary spreadsheet.