How to count the number of Excel cells with text formatted Italic

  1. #1
    phausman
    Guest

    How to count the number of Excel cells with text formatted Italic

    I have a large spreadsheet in which I am trying to calculate the number cells
    in each row with specific contents. Using the "COUNTIF()" function, I am able
    to do almost all of what I want. However, I need to subtract out any cells
    that have the contents formatted in Italic text. I cannot find any way to do
    so. Any suggestions would be welcome.

  2. #2
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: How to count the number of Excel cells with text formatted Italic

    The only way you can do this is by creating a UDF:
    1) Alt+F11 to get to the VBA editor
    2) Insert a module (right click on your sheet name and choose
    <Insert><Module>)
    3) Paste this code:

    Function CountItalic(rng As Range)
    Count = 0
    For Each rng In rng
    If rng.Font.Italic = True Then
    Count = Count + 1
    End If
    Next
    CountItalic = Count
    End Function

    Then you will be able to use the function CountItalic() in your worksheet.

    Does that help?
    Dave

  3. #3
    Scoops

    phausman wrote:
    > I have a large spreadsheet in which I am trying to calculate the number cells
    > in each row with specific contents. Using the "COUNTIF()" function, I am able
    > to do almost all of what I want. However, I need to subtract out any cells
    > that have the contents formatted in Italic text. I cannot find any way to do
    > so. Any suggestions would be welcome.

    Hi phausman:

    Further to David's submission, be aware that format changes do not
    trigger sheet calculations, so you'll have to re-enter the formula
    (just activate the formula's cell, click in the formula bar and press
    enter) or enter a value in the range to be checked.

    Regards

    Steve

  4. #4
    phausman
    Guest

    RE: How to count the number of Excel cells with text formatted Ita

    Got me exactly where I needed to be. Thanks.
    To make sure I did not count blank italic-formatted cells, I did have to add
    a nested if with the resultant formula:

    Function CountItalic(rng As Range)
    Count = 0
    For Each rng In rng