How do I count nonblank cells that meet criteria in another cell?

  1. #1
    jimswinder
    Guest

    How do I count nonblank cells that meet criteria in another cell?

    I need to add nonblank cells (cells have text) in a column that equal the
    criteria of another cell. So I want to add the cells in Column C that have
    text but also equal the date in Column A (which is equal to the date in Cell
    A1).

    I have tried the follwoing:
    =SUM(IF(A2:A19=A1,IF(C3:C19="x",1,0)))
    =COUNT(IF((A2:A19=A1),C2:C19))
    =IF((A2:A19)=A1,COUNTIF(C2:C19,"x"))

    Thanks for any help on this matter... I am sure it is an easy fix.

  2. #2
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: How do I count nonblank cells that meet criteria in another cell?

    The ranges need to be the same size. Try...

    =SUM(IF(A2:A19=A1,IF(C2:C19="x",1,0)))

    ....confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.

    Hope this helps!

  3. #3
    jimswinder
    Guest

    RE: How do I count nonblank cells that meet criteria in another cell?

    Domenic:

    Thanks that worked....what do I need to replace "x" with in the formula if I
    want it to find ANY text (non blank cells)?

  4. #4
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: How do I count nonblank cells that meet criteria in another cell?

    In article <[email protected]>,
    jimswinder <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Domenic:
    >
    > Thanks that worked....

    You're welcome!

    >what do I need to replace "x" with in the formula if I
    > want it to find ANY text (non blank cells)?

    Try...

    =SUM(IF(A2:A19=A1,IF(C2:C19<>"",1,0)))

  5. #5
    jimswinder
    Guest

    Re: How do I count nonblank cells that meet criteria in another ce

    Thanks once again....that will do it.

  6. #6
    jimswinder
    Guest

    Re: How do I count nonblank cells that meet criteria in another ce

    Well...it worked in my very simple test spreadsheet...but not my actual one
    where I have several different worksheets....one where I am putting the
    formula and another where it is looking for/at the data. I don't know how I
    could explain or show you what I am actually wanting to do without sending
    you the spreadsheet.

  7. #7
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: How do I count nonblank cells that meet criteria in another ce

    Is the formula returning an error message? If so, which one? Or are
    you getting an incorrect result?

  8. #8
    jimswinder
    Guest

    Re: How do I count nonblank cells that meet criteria in another ce

    an incorrect result...it always comes up as "0"

  9. #9
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: How do I count nonblank cells that meet criteria in another ce

    In article <[email protected]>,
    jimswinder <[email protected]> wrote:

    > an incorrect result...it always comes up as "0"

    Are you confirming the formula with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER?

  10. #10
    jimswinder
    Guest

    Re: How do I count nonblank cells that meet criteria in another ce

    Sorry...I didn't know about the CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.

    When I do that, it doe now work, but it has put brackets { } around the
    whole formula. What does that mean?

  11. #11
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: How do I count nonblank cells that meet criteria in another ce

    In article <[email protected]>,
    jimswinder <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Sorry...I didn't know about the CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.
    >
    > When I do that, it doe now work, but it has put brackets { } around the
    > whole formula. What does that mean?

    It indicates that you've entered the array formula correctly. For
    additional information, see the help menu under 'array formula'.

  12. #12
    Domenic

  13. #13
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: How do I count nonblank cells that meet criteria in another ce

    "jimswinder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Domenic" wrote:
    >
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> jimswinder <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> > an incorrect result...it always comes up as "0"

    >> Are you confirming the formula with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER?

    > Sorry...I didn't know about the CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.
    >
    > When I do that, it doe now work, but it has put brackets { } around the
    > whole formula. What does that mean?

    It means it's an array formula.
    --
    David Biddulph

  14. #14
    jimswinder
    Guest

    Re: How do I count nonblank cells that meet criteria in another ce

    How come the formula did not work until I did the CONTROL +SHIFT+ENTER??

  15. #15
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: How do I count nonblank cells that meet criteria in another ce

    "jimswinder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Domenic" wrote:
    >
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> jimswinder <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Sorry...I didn't know about the CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.
    >> >
    >> > When I do that, it doe now work, but it has put brackets { } around the
    >> > whole formula. What does that mean?

    >> It indicates that you've entered the array formula correctly. For
    >> additional information, see the help menu under 'array formula'.

    > How come the formula did not work until I did the CONTROL +SHIFT+ENTER??

    Because until then you didn't have an array formula.

    As stated above: