How do I get correct results when LOOKUP with calculated numbers

  1. #1
    onthemountain
    Guest

    How do I get correct results when LOOKUP with calculated numbers

    I am using LOOKUP and VLOOKUP to lookup data on tables. I have done this
    successfully, but I get unusual results when looking up calculated values.
    Sometimes the lookup results are correct sometimes not. All values are
    numbers, lookup_vector is in descending order. Lookup works when value is
    typed in cell not calculated. Unfortunately I need to lookup the value
    calculated from a lookup value. calculation is simple ie =D2+0.1

    I am specifically looking up the values less than and greater than the
    lookup_value. I have been looking up the less than value then adding 0.1 to
    get the greater than value.

  2. #2
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: How do I get correct results when LOOKUP with calculated numbers

    It's often the case that calculated values are formatted to two decimal
    places, so for instance 10 divided by three shows in the cell as 3.33 but
    the actual value is 3.33333333 etc so if your VLOOKUP is looking for 3.33 it
    won't find it.
    Try using =ROUND(Your Formula,2) to round to two decimal places,
    Regards,
    Alan.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    onthemountain
    Guest

    Re: How do I get correct results when LOOKUP with calculated numb

    Thanks Alan,
    That fixed my problem. I'm not sure why this was a problem because all
    calculations were simple addition, so 4.110 was different than 4.11. It
    works now I'm happy.
    thanks again