pivot table not reading date formats

  1. #1
    Todd
    Guest

    pivot table not reading date formats

    I am building a pivot table report to sum a worksheet that has times recorded
    in it. The data is formatted like this

    Start Finish
    Total Time
    6/14/2006 12:00:00 AM 6/14/2006 1:40:00 AM
    1:40

    I want the pivot table to sum by month.

    I can't figure out how to get this done. I put a column beside the data to
    pull the date from the start times for the table. But I can't find a format
    or formula that the pivot table will read the month from (other than retyping
    the dates).

    Help?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    RE: pivot table not reading date formats

    If you want to pivot table to sum by months, you'll need to have a helper
    column with the month (and possibly year)

    Try:

    =date(year(A1),month(A1),1) to get the first day of the month.