Find max value in a row and return column title

  1. #1
    Jshendel
    Guest

    Find max value in a row and return column title

    Hello.
    I would like to find a maximum value across a row of 24 and return the title
    I have given that column.
    So, if the max value of row R is in cell R20, I would like the function to
    return the name in cell A20.
    Thanks,
    Josh

  2. #2
    Bondi
    Guest

    Re: Find max value in a row and return column title

    Jshendel wrote:
    > Hello.
    > I would like to find a maximum value across a row of 24 and return the title
    > I have given that column.
    > So, if the max value of row R is in cell R20, I would like the function to
    > return the name in cell A20.
    > Thanks,
    > Josh

    Hi Josh,

    I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for. But I hope this
    works.
    This formula will look in ROW 20 and find the largst value in the
    column A to X (if more at same value return the first) and return the
    contents of ROW 1 in the column where the largst value is encountered.

    =INDIRECT(ADDRESS(1,MATCH(MAX(A20:X20),A20:X20,0)))

    Regards,
    Bondi

  3. #3
    excelent
    Guest

    RE: Find max value in a row and return column title

    =INDIRECT("A"&MATCH(MAX(P1:P29),P1:P29,0))

  4. #4
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Find max value in a row and return column title

    Well, R would be a column instead of a row, so you want to find the max in
    column R, and retrieve the label in column A corresponding to the max value,
    right?

    =INDEX($A$1:$A$40,MATCH(MAX($R$1:$R$40),$R$1:$R$40,0))

  5. #5
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Find max value in a row and return column title

    Try this:

    =INDEX(A:A,MATCH(MAX(R:R),R:R,0))

    Does that help?
    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  6. #6
    excelent
    Guest

    RE: Find max value in a row and return column title

    ups it was R i c

    =INDIRECT("A"&MATCH(MAX(R1:R29),R1:R29,0))

  7. #7
    excelent

  8. #8
    excelent