How to insert hyphen "-" in between two numbers

  1. #1
    Big Cat
    Guest

    How to insert hyphen "-" in between two numbers

    Hi All:

    I was wondering if one of you Excel guru's out there could coach me
    through this challenge I have. I run an extract report from our
    business system into Excel and I need to have a particular column of
    data changed as follows:

    From: 06001 To: 06-001

    Is there a formula of some sort that I could write to handle inserting
    the hyphen "-" in between the 2nd and 3rd character of my data column
    to accomplish this?

    Please help.

    Thanks,

    Big Cat

  2. #2
    Josh Craig
    Guest

    RE: How to insert hyphen "-" in between two numbers

    Hi,

    As long as it's always in between second and third characters this should
    work:

    =REPLACE(A1,3,0,"-")

    where A1 contains the original text

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld

    On 23 Jul 2006 22:52:22 -0700, "Big Cat" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi All:
    >
    >I was wondering if one of you Excel guru's out there could coach me
    >through this challenge I have. I run an extract report from our
    >business system into Excel and I need to have a particular column of
    >data changed as follows:
    >
    >From: 06001 To: 06-001
    >
    >Is there a formula of some sort that I could write to handle inserting
    >the hyphen "-" in between the 2nd and 3rd character of my data column
    >to accomplish this?
    >
    >Please help.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Big Cat

    1. You could custom format the column:
    Format/Cells/Number/Custom Type: 00-000

    2. You could use the formula:

    =TEXT(A1,"00-000")

    --ron

  4. #4
    Big Cat
    Guest

    Re: How to insert hyphen "-" in between two numbers

    Ron,

    Thanks for the help. I found it easiest to go with option 1 to solve
    my problem immediately. If I wanted to use option 2 (formula), where
    would I insert the formula in the list?

    Please advise.

    Thanks,

    Big Cat