word frequency

  1. #1

    word frequency

    I am trying to find a formula that will look at a list of team names and returns how often a particular team is in the list.
    What i am exactly trying to do is this. I have 16 teams in a sports tournament and each has to vote for their 1st 2nd & 3rd choice of most spirited team, and i am going to do this with combo boxes, and the results will be in a table with the column headings. Team, 1st choice, 2nd choice, 3rd choice. So what i want to do is look down each list in turn and tell me how often a particular team has been selected. For example if i had the list

    Spades
    Hearts
    Spades
    Diamonds

    so i would want a return of 2 when querying about spades and a return of 1 when querying about hearts, and diamonds, and a return of 0 when querying about clubs.

    Anybody got any ideas

    Sorry bout the long windedness

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: word frequency

    =Countif(F1:F100,"Hearts") if data is column F.

    HTH