Functions- Finding and counting specified text in cell range

  1. #1
    holliedavis
    Guest

    Functions- Finding and counting specified text in cell range

    I need to identify the correct function to achieve the following task:
    Search specified column to find "22087", and count the occurences.

    The problem I am having is that the cells within this column often contain
    more than one numeric value in each cell. For example, contents of one
    single cell may look like this: 22087, 22058, 22064. This cell identifies
    the locations of all the jobs a candidate is willing to consider. If a
    candidate is willing to consider placement in multiple cities/states, they
    are all listed within the cell.
    I need to know how many candidates are applying for each location #, and
    CountIF only seems to work if the cells contain only one value. Help?

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Functions- Finding and counting specified text in cell range

    Try:

    =SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH("22087",A1:B100)))

    HTH

  3. #3
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Functions- Finding and counting specified text in cell range

    Hollie,

    Use the array formula (entered uisng Ctrl-Shift-Enter)

    =SUM(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(D1,A1:A100))*1)

    where D1 contains the location code that you are interested in, and A1:A100 has your list of values.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    holliedavis
    Guest

    RE: Functions- Finding and counting specified text in cell range

    This formula works perfectly... Thank you! One small question, though... I
    am searching range G3:G1000 on 4 worsheets for this information. How do I
    write the formula to search the same range in multiple sheets?

    My formula looks like this so far, but I need to also search sheets 2, 3,
    and 4 and end up with a total number.

    =SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH("22948",'Sheet 1'!G3:G1003)))

    Thanks!!!!

  5. #5
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest

    RE: Functions- Finding and counting specified text in cell range

    You SHOULD be able to just add a + sign to the end of that formula, copy the
    formula (not including the = or the newly added +) and change sheet 1 to
    sheet 2. Repeat this for sheets 3 and 4.

    Without testing, it should look something like:
    =SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH("22948",'Sheet
    1'!G3:G1003)))+SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH("22948",'Sheet
    2'!G3:G1003)))+SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH("22948",'Sheet
    3'!G3:G1003)))+SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH("22948",'Sheet 4'!G3:G1003)))

    There may be another way of doing this
    Actually, I did test this a little by adding sheet 1 - sheet 4 into my
    workbook and putting 22948 somewhere in column g of each. I got 4 (which was
    correct in my instance.)
    --
    Kevin Vaughn