finding exact matches using vlookup

  1. #1
    Ekazakoff
    Guest

    finding exact matches using vlookup

    I am getting #N/A errors even when I have an apparently exact match in my
    table array to the lookup value. I know that excel requires the formats to
    be exactly the same and I can force the match if I copy the lookup value from
    my table array and paste it into the worksheet. Is there an easy way to
    "fix" my table array. The table array is a reference worksheet I have
    created which has worked in the past.

  2. #2
    Sasa Stankovic
    Guest

    Re: finding exact matches using vlookup

    are you working with dates?

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: finding exact matches using vlookup

    If there are numbers involved it might be that either the lookup value or
    the lookup column are text values

    =ISTEXT(A1)

    will return TRUE if a value is text thus you can check if that's the case

    You could have invisible characters in the string, test with

    =LEN(A1)

    if that matches what you can count it is OK, if the resulting character
    count is greater than what you can count you have invisible characters

    To convert text numbers to number numbers, select the cell(s), do data>text
    to columns and click finish or copy an empty cell, select the cell(s) in
    question and do edit>paste special and select add

    Peo Sjoblom

    Excel 95 - Excel 2007
    Northwest Excel Solutions
    www.nwexcelsolutions.com

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom

  5. #5
    Ekazakoff
    Guest

    RE: finding exact matches using vlookup

    I did find I have hidden characters. How do I get rid of them?

  6. #6
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: finding exact matches using vlookup

    You can run a macro

    same site has instructions on how to install macros

    if the extra character is a space you can use

    =VLOOKUP(A2,TRIM(range),column_index,FALSE)

    replace A2 with your lookup value and range with your lookup table

    entered with ctrl + shift & enter

    Peo Sjoblom

    Excel 95 - Excel 2007
    Northwest Excel Solutions
    www.nwexcelsolutions.com

  7. #7
    Sasa Stankovic
    Guest

    Re: finding exact matches using vlookup

    Well, TRIM function might not work just good enought because it cleans
    spaces but it doesnt clean HIDDEN characters! For that job there is CLEAN
    function!
    So your VLOOKUP should be little modify:
    =VLOOKUP(A2,CLEAN(range),column_index,0)

    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Sasa Stankovic

  9. #9
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: finding exact matches using vlookup

    The clean function won't remove invisible html characters which usually is
    the culprit when trim does not work
    thus I gave a link to a macro that will remove all obsolete characters
    including the characters that CLEAN will remove

    Peo Sjoblom

    Excel 95 - Excel 2007
    Northwest Excel Solutions
    www.nwexcelsolutions.com

    news:[email protected]...

  10. #10
    Peo Sjoblom

  11. #11
    Khan
    Guest

    Re: finding exact matches using vlookup

    There is one way to clean HTML characters from your data but you will
    have to do it at a time for one column,
    1)select the column in which you have HTML characters then press Ctrl+C
    to copy the column.
    2) then open (windows) NOTEPAD press Ctrl+V to paste your data in
    NOTPAD.
    3) then press Ctrl+H to find and replace the HTML characters.
    4) just select one of the HTML character normaly it should be in the
    end of every line copy it then paste it as value of Find what:
    5) don't put any thing in Replace with: value press replace all .
    6) press Ctrl+A to copy all and paste it back in excel column.
    hope it will help you.

    Regards,
    Khan

  12. #12
    Khan

  13. #13
    Khan
    Guest

    Re: finding exact matches using vlookup

    There is one way to clean HTML characters from your data but you will
    have to do it at a time for one column,
    1)select the column in which you have HTML characters then press Ctrl+C

    to copy the column.
    2) then open (windows) NOTEPAD press Ctrl+V to paste your data in
    NOTEPAD.
    3) then press Ctrl+H to find and replace the HTML characters.
    4) just select one of the HTML character normaly it should be in the
    end of every line copy it then paste it as value of Find what:
    5) don't put any thing in Replace with: value press replace all .
    6) press Ctrl+A to copy all and paste it back in excel column.
    Actully NOTEPAD can recognise those characters which excel can't.

    Regards,
    Khan

  14. #14
    Khan