Return number OR sum based on two criteria

  1. #1
    John in MN
    Guest

    Return number OR sum based on two criteria

    Does anyone know how to get an "either - or" kind of return. Here's a sample
    of what I'm looking at:

    Order ID boxes freight $$
    999242849 4.00 11.51
    999242850 3.00 113.43
    999242851 1.00 3.08
    999242851 1.00 20.75
    999242852 1.00 16.61
    999242863 4.00 32.26
    999242863 4.00 32.26
    999242863 4.00 32.26
    999242863 4.00 32.26

    On a separate worksheet, I need to create one row for each order listing
    what's in column C. Each line represents a tracking number from shipping. If
    one shipment has 4 boxes (like order 999242863), I only need to pull the
    $32.26 through once. But on order 999242851, there were two shipments and I
    need to add them together to get $23.83. Other orders have one shipment with
    one tracking number, so they are easy. I need a formula that will pull these
    numbers through. I have over 7 thousand lines to deal with on a monthly
    basis.

    Thanks!
    John

  2. #2
    duane
    Guest

    RE: Return number OR sum based on two criteria

    if I understand you, you want to bring back the total $ for orders where the
    $ on each line are different, otherwise just bring back the $ on one line for
    that order.

    I put the data in a4:c:12, and listed a part number in cell a18. This
    formula would work, unless the first line for an order with multiple $
    happens to have $ that is average of all the lines for that order. Sorting
    the data apprpriately would resolve that (sort by part number 1st, then by $
    number second).

    =IF(AVERAGE(IF($A$4:$A$12=$A18,$C$4:$C$12))=VLOOKUP($A18,$A$4:$C$12,3,FALSE),VLOOKUP($A18,$A$4:$C$12,3,FALSE),SUMPRODUCT(($A$4:$A$12=$A18)*($C$4:$C$12)))

    is an array formula

  3. #3
    John in MN
    Guest

    RE: Return number OR sum based on two criteria

    Thanks, Duane! I'll give that a shot!