array formula count results of two tests

  1. #1
    windsurferLA
    Guest

    array formula count results of two tests

    My daughter has spread sheet with two columns, C and F. She wants to
    compute the number of rows in which the test criteria is satisfied in
    both columns C and F. The following formula returns a “1” if the test
    criteria is met in both, and a zero if one or the other criteria is not
    met.

    =(C3="+/+")*(F3="blast")

    My thought was to construct the array formula:

    {=SUM(C3:C19="+/+")*(F3:F19="blast")}

    but it returns zero, the wrong answer.

    We could add more columns and then sum the columns, but it gets messy
    because there are numerous combinations to be checked.

    We’ve also tried various configurations of SumIF and Count.

    Suggestions?

  2. #2
    JBoulton
    Guest

    RE: array formula count results of two tests

    Try this:
    =sumproduct(--(c3:c19="+/+"),--(f3:f19="blast"))
    --
    Jim

  3. #3
    windsurferLA
    Guest

    Re: array formula count results of two tests

    Thanks.... I don't know why I didn't think of that... it works.