CELL("filename") acting Volatile? (in assoc. with PULL)

  1. #1

    CELL("filename") acting Volatile? (in assoc. with PULL)

    Hello,
    I was using Harlan Grove's PULL function for the first time, and found that it had started
    behaving in a Volatile manner, when it shouldn't have.
    I was able to hunt down the problem to my formula that builds the reference that PULL uses. As
    a step in building the directory of the external workbook, I used "=LEFT(CELL
    ("filename",A1),FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1))-1)" to return the directory of the current
    workbook. This formula is the problem. When I remove it, PULL no longer acts Volatile.
    But it was my understanding that CELL("filename") was not volatile. (Sources:
    <http://www.decisionmodels.com/calcsecretsi.htm> and
    <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211370/EN-US/>)
    Does anyone know why things became volatile in my workbook?
    (BTW, I wrote a tiny UDF to return the directory of the current workbook, instead of using the
    CELL function, and the workbook works fine now.)
    Thanks,
    Shawn
    Posted with NewsLeecher v3.0 Final
    * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
    * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

  3. #3
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: CELL("filename") acting Volatile? (in assoc. with PULL)

    [email protected] wrote...
    >But it was my understanding that CELL("filename") was not volatile.
    >(Sources: http://www.decisionmodels.com/calcsecretsi.htm and
    >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211370/EN-US/)

    Don't believe everything you read. Testing is always best to confirm.

    In this case, create a nonvolatile udf like

    Function nada()
    Static n As Long
    n = n + 1
    MsgBox n
    End Function

    then enter 2 separate formulas,

    =CELL("Filename")&nada()

    and

    =nada()

    Now clear the cell containing the latter, and the former recalcs. Undo
    the clear. Now clear the cell containing the former, but the latter
    doesn't recalc. Sure looks like CELL("Filename") is volatile despite
    what Charles Williams's site may say.

  4. #4

    Re: CELL("filename") acting Volatile? (in assoc. with PULL)

    But I read it on the internet! So it must be true!

    Thanks for the analysis, Harlan. PULL is very handy, thank you.

  5. #5
    Charles Williams
    Guest

    Re: CELL("filename") acting Volatile? (in assoc. with PULL)

    Hi Harlan,

    Just to confirm that Cell("filename") shows up as volatile when I test it
    too: guess I got lazy and believed the MSKB article.

    Charles
    Decision Models
    FastExcel 2.3 now available
    Name Manager 4.0 now available