Excel Calculator always requires an = before a math function, can be turned off setting?

  1. #1
    auto
    Guest

    Excel Calculator always requires an = before a math function, can be turned off setting?

    I often use excel as a fancy calculator. But often I forget to start the
    calculator with the = sign. So if I want to add 44 + 66, I forget to
    type in an = sign first, an it gives me an error message. Is there a
    setting to turn that off, so I can type in 44 + 66 and it gives me an
    answer.

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Excel Calculator always requires an = before a math function, can be turned off setting?

    I always have Excel running and it's also my calculator. I never use use a
    calculator anymore!

    The answer to your question is no.

    The equal sign tells Excel that you're entering a formula that needs to be
    calculated.

    You can use a plus sign (+) instead of the equal sign (=) if you always use
    the numeric keypad. It's more ergonomic than "reaching" for the equal sign.
    Excel will accept the plus sign and upon hitting ENTER, will automatically
    change it to an equal sign.

    +44+66 [Enter]

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Excel Calculator always requires an = before a math function, can be turned off setting?

    See reply in .Functions

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Excel Calculator always requires an = before a math function, can be turned off setting?

    No way to turn that off.

    Type in the = sign.

    Same like starting your car..........need to insert key and turn to start.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  5. #5
    auto
    Guest

    Re: Excel Calculator always requires an = before a math function, can be turned off setting?

    thanks, I did not realise it convert the + to an =.
    Was it always like that, even in the older excel versions?

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    auto
    Guest

    Re: Excel Calculator always requires an = before a math function, can be turned off setting?

    no sure what you mean by that?

  7. #7
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Excel Calculator always requires an = before a math function, can be turned off setting?

    > Was it always like that, even in the older excel versions?

    I'm not sure how far back it goes.

  8. #8
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Excel Calculator always requires an = before a math function, can be turned off setting?

    > no sure what you mean by that?

    Your message was also posted to the Worksheet.Functions forum where there
    are also replies.

  9. #9
    auto
    Guest

    Re: Excel Calculator always requires an = before a math function, can be turned off setting?

    i c, tx