Simple Calculator Problem

  1. #1
    Wanganui, New Zealand

    Simple Calculator Problem

    Hi All,

    This is probably a simple matter for you guys, but I'm trying to make a simple calculator that allows me to run a formula and display a result in the same cell. There is a detailed description on the worksheet. I'm quite prepared to be told that I'm going about it all wrong.

    Can someone please help me?

    I've uploaded Machinist Calculator.zip (I think)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Wheelz; 08-09-2006 at 03:00 PM.
    -If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

  2. #2
    G'day Wheelz,

    I had a play in excel to try and work it out, you have a circular reference, which you prob already knew, however what i suggest is that you have a couple of tables. eg if variables are " blue cells " then it works out " black cells " if a black cell has to be a variable then set up another table so that when value is put in there then it gives you a value for the missing info in blue cells.

    Dunno if you have tried this or if it helps, other than that if you like send me an email with a detailed explanation of what each varible is eg " Speed ( Vc ) m/min is taht velocity in metres per minute, excuse my dumbness. I will try and help any way as i believe every circular reference has a work around.

    Cheers Daz

  3. #3
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: Simple Calculator Problem

    You can either have a formula in a cell, or you can enter a value. You can't
    expect a cell to contain 2 items at the same time. The easiest thing I can
    suggest is that you have 2 adjacent columns to allow the calculations in
    both directions.

    --
    Ian

  4. #4
    paul
    Guest

    RE: Simple Calculator Problem

    i am not familiar with that utility but unless it is a "macro type" of thing
    you cannot have an input and an out put in the same call in excel.The input
    would overwrite the cell contents
    --
    paul
    [email protected]

  5. #5
    Wanganui, New Zealand
    Quote Originally Posted by paul
    ...you cannot have an input and an out put in the same call in excel.The input would overwrite the cell contents
    Thanks for the replies. That was what I was experiencing and was affraid I was asking too much of it. I've seen it done in VB and kinda thought Excel might be able to handle it too.
    I was hoping to have it all contained in the one table but it appears I'll have to create another as suggested.

    Cheers
    Pete