vlookup Function Help Needed

  1. #1

    vlookup Function Help Needed

    All,

    I've been working on this for 2 days now and can't figure it out so any help would be appreciated.

    I have one workbook with multiple tabs on it. Tab A has multiple columns being used but columns A and B are the important ones. Column A is labeled Sample Number and starts off blank. Column B is labeled Row number and is in ascending order from 1 to whatever.

    Tab B has two columns on it. Actually there are more but they aren't important to what I'm doing. I hope. Column A is labeled Sample Number and is a list of random numbers. Column B is the corresponding Row Number on tab a that the sample number is associated with.

    For example Tab B

    Sample Number Row Number
    113 95
    178 110
    and so on. The row numbers are generated in acceding order.

    What I'm trying to do on Tab A in Column A(Sample Number) is automatically bring over the sample number from Tab B and place it on the correct row. If there is no sample number for the row I want the cell to be blank which I will end up doing use the IF function and the ISNA function.

    I've tried using the match function with the vlookup function but now cigar.

    Hopefully this makes sense.

    Thanks
    Jeff

  2. #2
    Per Erik Midtrød
    Guest

    Re: vlookup Function Help Needed

    Hello Jeff.

    If I have understood your problem correctly you could solve ut using a
    combination of Match and Index, try pasting this formula in A2 on
    sheetA:
    =INDEX(B!A:A;MATCH(B2;B!B:B;0);1)

    Best regards
    Per Erik

  3. #3
    Erik,

    Your formula worked perfectly. This really saved me a lot of work. Now I don't have to enter 1069 numbers manually.

    Thanks!
    Jeff

    Quote Originally Posted by Per Erik Midtrød