How can I convert a group of numbers to a group of letters?

  1. #1
    CarlG
    Guest

    How can I convert a group of numbers to a group of letters?

    My store uses a retail price "code" wherein a price like 99 in expressed as a
    code like "PP"--exchanging the number digits 1-0 as letters.
    Is there a function to do this automatically?

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How can I convert a group of numbers to a group of letters?

    A VLOOKUP table would probably do the trick.

    See Excel help on VLOOKUP or go to Debra Dalgleish's site for "real" help.

    http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlFunctions02.html

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  3. #3
    CarlG
    Guest

    Re: How can I convert a group of numbers to a group of letters?

    How would that work on a digit-by-digit basis, to convert, for example, "256"
    to something like "CFI"? (Assuming that A B C D E F G F I and J stood for
    0-9)

  4. #4
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest

    Re: How can I convert a group of numbers to a group of letters?

    That would be tough to do using a formula, at least for me. For the given
    example, this would work (note it is CFG not CFI)
    =CHAR(LEFT(D15,1)+65)&CHAR(MID(D15,2,1)+65)&CHAR(RIGHT(D15,1)+65)
    However, since your originaly example was 2 characters and, presumably the
    number of characters could vary, this would quickly fail. A short UDF could
    work (note, there is no error checking)

    Function CharDigit(Cell As String) As String
    Dim l As Integer, i As Integer
    Dim sTemp As String
    sTemp = ""
    l = Len(Cell)
    For i = 1 To l
    sTemp = sTemp & Chr(Mid(Cell, i, 1) + 65)
    Next i
    CharDigit = sTemp
    End Function

    here is some sample output:
    0123456789 ABCDEFGHIJ
    3210 DCBA
    256 CFG

    --
    Kevin Vaughn

  5. #5
    CarlG
    Guest

    Re: How can I convert a group of numbers to a group of letters?

    Looks PERFECT! The "UDF", that is. Now, how do I use it. If my "numbers" are
    column A and I want the converted "text" in column B, how do I apply the
    formula?
    Thanks!

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How can I convert a group of numbers to a group of letters?

    Carl

    Have you copied the UDF to a General module in your workbook?

    If so, just enter in B1 =CharDigit(A1) and double-click on B1 fill handle to
    copy down column A

    Just a note here: if you have a space in the string, the UDF will error.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  7. #7
    CarlG
    Guest

    Re: How can I convert a group of numbers to a group of letters?

    Ah, so THAT's how you do it.

    It's absolute magic. Except that I left out most important part: In our case
    the "real" code is not as simple as 0-1 = A-J. In reality, 0-X, 1=I, 2=L,
    3=E, 4=H, 5=S, 6=G, 7=T, 8=B, and 9=P. I guess that's a whole 'nother thing,
    huh?

    You've gone way beyond the call of duty already, so if this is a biggy, I'd
    be grateful even if you just pointed me in the right direction as to how to
    figure this out.

    Extreme thanks,
    Carl Greene

  8. #8
    San Diego
    Here is a start to your query. I'm sure you can figure out the missing pieces. Sorry it took so long. I lost this thread (doing a search on my name on the microsoft site did not show it.)

    Function CharDigit(Cell As String) As String
    Dim l As Integer, i As Integer
    Dim sTemp As String, sChar As String
    sTemp = ""
    l = Len(Cell)
    For i = 1 To l
    ' sTemp = sTemp & Chr(Mid(Cell, i, 1) + 65)
    ' 0-X, 1=I, 2=L,
    ' 3=E, 4=H, 5=S, 6=G, 7=T, 8=B, and 9=P.
    sChar = Mid(Cell, i, 1)
    Select Case sChar
    Case "0"
    sTemp = sTemp & "X"
    Case "1"
    sTemp = sTemp & "I"
    Case "2"
    sTemp = sTemp & "L"
    Case "3"
    sTemp = sTemp & "E"
    Case "9"
    sTemp = sTemp & "P"
    Case Else
    sTemp = sTemp & "! " & sChar & " is not in list!"
    End Select
    Next i
    CharDigit = sTemp
    End Function
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlG

  9. #9
    CarlG
    Guest

    Re: How can I convert a group of numbers to a group of letters?

    Thanks ever so much. You've solved my problem perfectly and elegantly; I
    REALLY appreciate your taking the time.

    Carl Greene

  10. #10
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest

    Re: How can I convert a group of numbers to a group of letters?

    You're welcome. Thanks for the feedback.
    --
    Kevin Vaughn