Format: General - Text - General

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    Format: General - Text - General

    I find myself converting formulas to text frequently so I can copy/paste them without the forumlas updating, then formatting back to general.

    When I do this, the value still shows the text format until I open and close(double click cell- press enter) each cell. How do I get the values to show up without that?

    TIA

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Format: General - Text - General

    Two techniques:

    1) Use macros to do the conversion: save these in your personal.xls, add two custom buttons to your
    commandbar to fire them, then select the cell(s) that you want to convert and run them.

    Sub SAFormulaToText()
    Dim myCell As Range
    Dim myCalc As Variant

    With Application
    .ScreenUpdating = False
    myCalc = .Calculation
    .Calculation = xlCalculationManual
    .EnableEvents = False
    End With

    On Error Resume Next

    For Each myCell In ActiveSheet.UsedRange.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeFormulas)
    myCell.Formula = "'" & myCell.Formula
    Next myCell

    With Application
    .ScreenUpdating = True
    .Calculation = myCalc
    .EnableEvents = True
    End With
    End Sub

    Sub SATextToFormula()
    Dim myCell As Range
    Dim myCalc As Variant

    With Application
    .ScreenUpdating = False
    myCalc = .Calculation
    .Calculation = xlCalculationManual
    .EnableEvents = False
    End With

    On Error Resume Next

    For Each myCell In Selection
    myCell.Formula = myCell.Text
    Next myCell

    With Application
    .ScreenUpdating = True
    .Calculation = myCalc
    .EnableEvents = True
    End With
    End Sub

    2) Use replace to find and replace = with XXXXX, then the reverse to switch back.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    I guess I need to look into macros with as much time as I spend in Excel. That looks a little over my head, but Ill learn it eventually.

    Thank you

  4. #4

    Re: Format: General - Text - General

    Or use Bernie's second suggestion.