Adding times

  1. #1
    Jaime
    Guest

    Adding times

    I have a list of times in one column formatted as hh:mm:ss. Some of the
    cells are blank because there was no time associated with a particular task.

    I'm trying to sum and ultimately average these numbers. Everytime I try I
    get 00:00:00. I've tried formatting both the column and my calculation to
    [hh]:mm:ss and that doesn't appear to work. The only thing that works is
    adding each value individually. I can't do that as there are thousands in my
    list. Little help?

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Adding times

    Jaime,

    This is indicative of the times having been entered as strings.

    Toi fix this, put a 0 into a blank cell that is formatted for time (it should show 0:00:00 or
    similar), copy it, select your cells with the 'times' , right-click your selection , select Paste
    special..., select 'All' under paste and 'Add' under operation. Then click OK.

    Then your SUM and AVERAGE formulas will work.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...