How can I set excel to automatically insert rows

  1. #1
    Tima
    Guest

    How can I set excel to automatically insert rows

    I have a running worksheet to account for expenses and deposits. At the
    bottom of the sheet are the total values. I have to keep "inserting" rows to
    move the values further down the sheet.

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How can I set excel to automatically insert rows

    Tima

    I can be done, but.....................

    How will Excel know when you want to "automatically" insert a row or rows?

    You generally need some sort of trigger to fire an automatic response.

    Maybe a description of your layout and how you enter data will help.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  3. #3
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: How can I set excel to automatically insert rows

    Some folks create the "Totals" row a 1,000 or so rows below the last data
    row.
    Then, they just insert an additional row right before or after the header
    row.
    They *link* this extra row to the "Totals" row to display the totals and
    *freeze* it together with the header row for a perpetual display of labels
    and amounts.
    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How can I set excel to automatically insert rows

    Should read "It can be done"

    Gord

  5. #5
    Tima
    Guest

    Re: How can I set excel to automatically insert rows

    Thanks for the info so far. I am unable to figure out how to "link" the rows.

  6. #6
    Tima
    Guest

    Re: How can I set excel to automatically insert rows

    Well!!! I did accomplish something better just now. I added rows between the
    last data entry row and the totals row like you suggested. Then I placed the
    totals row at the bottom of the page (view) and placed a split on the row
    above it. So now my worksheet will show the running data entries and the
    totals at the same time ans still update automatically.
    Sorry that I forgot to rate your reply.

  7. #7
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: How can I set excel to automatically insert rows

    No rating necessary since I'm coming *directly* from the msnews.microsoft
    newsgroups.
    All the ratings here are the feed-back that we get from you.<g>

    As far as linking is concerned, after you insert a new, blank row above or
    below your headers,
    scroll down to your "Totals" row.

    Select the pertinent cells, say A1000 to E1000.
    Right click in the selection and choose "Copy".

    Navigate up to that new, blank row and right click in the Column A cell.
    Choose "Paste Special", then click on "Paste Link", then <Esc>, and you've
    linked your rows.

    All changes to the total row will *automatically* be displayed in that new
    'pseudo' total row!

    RD
    -------------------
    -------------------

  8. #8
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How can I set excel to automatically insert rows

    I am happy you're happy, but none of this, in my opinion, is "automatically
    inserting rows"

    Gord

  9. #9
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: How can I set excel to automatically insert rows

    Sometimes Gord, you have to read between the lines.<bg>

    RD

  10. #10
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How can I set excel to automatically insert rows

    Gotcha.

    After posting my whine I read over your exchange and realized I had taken the
    question too literally.

    Thanks for the slap upside the ear<g>