Function similar to TREND that interpolates lin. between data poin

  1. #1
    Erik Thorsteinsson
    Guest

    Function similar to TREND that interpolates lin. between data poin

    Dear fellow Excel users out there,

    does anyone know if there is a function in Excel similar to TREND that
    interpolates linearly between data points instead of returning a linear trend
    for the hole array.

    Example:

    Known x's Known y's
    1 2
    2 5
    3 6
    4 8

    =TREND(known_y's;known_x's;1.5) delivers 3.35 but I need a function that
    delivers 3.5 (because 1.5 is in the middle between 1 and 2, and 3.5 is in the
    middle between 2 and 5, i.e. the linear interpolation between the two data
    points).

  2. #2
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: Function similar to TREND that interpolates lin. between data poin

    Try using just this part of your table for known x and known y.

    known x known y
    1 2
    2 5

    If your table is in A1:B4, and D1 = 1.5, try:

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(D1,Sheet3!A1:A4,0)),TREND(OFFSET(Sheet3!B1,MATCH(D1,Sheet3!A1:A4,1)-1,0,2,1),OFFSET(Sheet3!A1,MATCH(D1,Sheet3!A1:A4,1)-1,0,2,1),D1),VLOOKUP(D1,Sheet3!A1:B4,2,0))

  3. #3
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: Function similar to TREND that interpolates lin. between data

    Note I inadertently left the worksheet reference in (Sheet3). Change or
    remove as needed.