How to make average function ignore MIN and MAX

  1. #1
    Larry4500
    Guest

    How to make average function ignore MIN and MAX

    Is there a way to get Excel to ignore the max and min of a data range
    when calculating the average? If so, is there any way to get it to
    ignore the two highest and lowest values? The second question is less

    important but I would really appreciate it if somebody has the answer
    to my first question- it would be really useful for what I'm trying to
    do. Thank you!

  2. #2
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: How to make average function ignore MIN and MAX

    Larry, try this

    1. =(SUM(A1:A14)-SMALL(A1:A14,1)-LARGE(A1:A14,1))/(COUNT(A1:A14)-2)

    2.
    =(SUM(A1:A14)-SMALL(A1:A14,1)-SMALL(A1:A14,2)-LARGE(A1:A14,1)-LARGE(A1:A14,2
    ))/(COUNT(A1:A14)-4)

    --
    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: How to make average function ignore MIN and MAX

    a) ignore Min and Max
    =(SUM(myrange)-MIN(myrange)-MAX(myrange))/(COUNT(myrange)-2)
    b) ignore top 2 and bottom 2
    =(SUM(myrange)-(LARGE(myrange,1)+LARGE(myrange,2)+SMALL(myrange,1)+SMALL(myrange,2)))/(COUNT(myrange)-4)
    This uses a named range but you could replace "myrange" by A1:A100, for
    example.
    In all cases be careful with parentheses: (sum - things-to-ignore) /
    (count - N)
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

  4. #4
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: How to make average function ignore MIN and MAX

    Perhaps this would be a good application of the TRIMMEAN function.

    For a list of numbers in A1:A10
    Where you want to exclude the MAX and MIN values

    B1: =TRIMMEAN(A1:A10,2/10)
    or...for more flexibility
    B1: =TRIMMEAN(A1:A12,2/ROWS(A1:A12))

    Is that something you can work with?