VLOOKUP and logical functions

  1. #1
    Margherita
    Guest

    VLOOKUP and logical functions

    Hi

    I'm trying to do a VLOOKUP from two different sheets on a another workbook.
    Can a person combine say for instance a logical function like OR together
    with VLOOKUP?

    E.g.
    =OR(VLOOKUP(lookup_value,'[Register.xls]A3'!table_array,col_index_num,FALSE,VLOOKUP(lookup_value,'[Register.xls]K'!table_array,col_index_num,FALSE))

    I've tried this, but it doesn't seem to work. I'm not sure what other
    functions one could try to achieve this.

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP and logical functions

    What are you trying to do ... explain your logic.

    You have "lookup_value" and cells A3 and K ... is the latter a typo? Are
    trying to lookup using A3 OR K..?

    You probably need an IF statement to determine which one to use.

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP and logical functions

    =IF(ISNA(vlookup1),IF(ISNA(vlookup2),"",vlookup2),vlookup1)

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Forum Expert
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    1,500
    Its not clear what you require, if you wish to lookup from 2 places can the item exist in both arrays? If it can only exist in one array

    if(isna(firstloookup),secondlookup,firstlookup)

    Assuming that the value must exist in one of the 2 arrays

    but you need to provide more information as to what you are trying to achieve. Are you returning numbers or text?

    regards

    Dav

  5. #5
    Margherita
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP and logical functions

    I have a drawing register (Register.xls) with part numbers on, parts
    beginning with A3* is on a sheet named "A3", then all parts beginning with K*
    is on a sheet named "K".

    Normally the VLOOKUP command works when I specify the table of array on one
    sheet, e.g. sheet A3. No problem. (I use the VLOOKUP command when I create a
    parts list in a drawing, where I only need specific information relating to
    that part e.g. material)

    What I need to know is if you can you make it lookup on sheet "A3" and sheet
    "K"? And how?

    Let's say for example I need to find out material for part number K31RR0002A
    (which is specified on sheet "K" in my register), but because my VLOOKUP
    command only reads the table of array on sheet "A3", it doesn't show up the
    value because the part is specified on a different sheet. But if I look up a
    value for part number A31RR0002A, then I get the correct answer (because A3*
    is specified on sheet A3). I need it to be able to lookup a value on two
    different sheets at the same time.

    Does it make sense?

  6. #6
    Margherita
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP and logical functions

    Hi Dav

    Thanks a lot, this cleared it up for me now. It works! Yippeeee!!

    Thank you, thank you, thank you!