Drop Down List

  1. #1
    Pete
    Guest

    Drop Down List

    is it possible to have different dropdown lists appear
    depending on value in cell to the left of where you have
    your dropdown list. e.g

    if A1 = "LP" then b1="Dropdownlist1"
    if A1 = MP then b1="Dropdownlist2"

    etc etc

    Hope you can help

    Pete

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Drop Down List

    There are instructions for dependent data validation lists here:

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Drop Down List

    Hi

    Into data validation list's source enter the formula
    =IF($A1="LP",Dropdownlist1,IF($A1="MP",Dropdownlist2,""))
    where Dropdownlist1 and Dropdownlist2 are named ranges.

    Or, when you have to cope with many sublists, then maybe you arrange them as
    matrix on separate sheet (p.e. Lists), like
    LP MP ....
    lp1 mp1 ....
    lp2 mp2 ....
    .... ... ...

    Now define the named range for data validation lists source as dynamic named
    range, like (on fly, so you have to test it yourself, but I hope you get the
    idea)
    YourList=OFFSET(Lists!$A$2,0,MATCH($A1,Lists!$A$1:$Z$1,0)-1,COUNTIF(OFFSET(L
    ists!$A2,0,MATCH($A1,Lists!$A$1:$Z$1,0)-1,100,1),"<>")-1,1)

    Or, when all sublists are always of same length, you can use INDEX function
    to get a single column from matrix (instead of OFFSET)

    Arvi Laanemets

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: Drop Down List

    Brilliant Debra, Exactly what I want thanks.