Closed Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

[SOLVED] Is there 'graph paper' in excel?

  1. #1
    keith
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Is there 'graph paper' in excel?

    Have been playing with column width and row heighth and border options
    to make graph paper. A bit frustrating. Best I can figure so far is 6.013
    to 1.0 ratio for heighth to width for a square cell. Are there any ready
    made styles in excel. Thanks

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    More info here: http://www.mrexcel.com/tip071.shtml

  3. #3
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: Is there 'graph paper' in excel?

    Microsoft has a "Graph Paper" template that may give you some ideas.

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...183751033.aspx

    Dana DeLouis
    Win XP & Office 2003

    news:%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Is there 'graph paper' in excel?

    There's a graph paper template on the Microsoft web site:

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/te...CT063455571033

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  5. #5
    keith
    Guest

    Re: Is there 'graph paper' in excel?

    DD and DD? What are the odds of that? Thanks to both.
    Followed the directions but couldn't get the sheet to open. But, then
    again, there's a pretty good chance I don't know what I'm doing. I'll try
    again. As for playing with cell dimensions, it is a bit strange. A square on
    the screen isn't square on the printed page and vice versa. And even if you
    tell the column or row what size to be they might decide to be something
    just slightly different. Perhaps what I want to do isn't what excel was
    intended for.
    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: Is there 'graph paper' in excel?

    Hello. I had no problem downloading the template. My security settings are
    set high, so I had a prompt for ActiveX controls. Once I selected ok, it
    downloaded with no problems.

    To square a cell, Excel needs to do it in a loop. Not too long ago, someone
    posted a neat solution. However, I apologize because I can't find the
    name of the poster. I've search the newsgroups, and Google, but had no luck
    finding this post.
    Anyway, his general solution is the following. Set the Row height to what
    you want, then run the macro to adjust the column widths.

    Sub SquareAllCells()
    Dim i As Long
    Dim cw
    Dim w
    Dim h

    Cells.ColumnWidth = Rows(1).Height

    With Cells(1)
    For i = 1 To 5
    cw = .EntireColumn.ColumnWidth
    w = .EntireColumn.Width
    h = .EntireRow.Height
    Cells.ColumnWidth = (cw / w) * h
    Next i
    End With

  7. #7
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Is there 'graph paper' in excel?

    Keith

    If you want to use VBA to set height and width in mm....which can be converted
    to inches....

    Ole Erlandson has code for setting row and column dimensions.

    http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/...vbawssetrowcol

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  8. #8
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Is there 'graph paper' in excel?

    If you know someone with Mac XL04, you can have them set column widths
    and row heights directly in the GUI (inches, mm, cm).

    I've got some sample graph paper sheets in various sizes here

    ftp://ftp.mcgimpsey.com/excel/graph_paper.xls

  9. #9
    Pranas
    Guest

    Re: Is there 'graph paper' in excel?

    OK, now we've got Rectangular Graph Paper. What about Semi-Log or
    Log-Log, Probability paper, Circular and Triangular Graph Papers. K&E
    used to have a whole collection, but some one published a book with
    them. You just copied the Graph paper you wanted from the book and
    drew your graph: and turned in your homework.:-)

  10. #10
    Bill Sharpe
    Guest

    Re: Is there 'graph paper' in excel?

    A Google search for "graph paper freeware" turns up a number of
    possibilities.

    Bill

    news:[email protected]...

  11. #11
    keith
    Guest

    Re: Is there 'graph paper' in excel?

    Thanks to all. The macro approach is a bit out of my league but Google
    caughed up some good options. Will try the ctech and nutsnbits links. Both
    are downloadable .exe items that seem easy enough to use. Of course there's
    always the Staples and/or Office Depot route. Thanks again to all.
    Keith
    news:[email protected]...

  12. #12
    Sandra
    Guest

    Re: Is there 'graph paper' in excel?

    How do you get it to print out on a full page? Since it's empty, Excel tells
    me there's nothing to print.

    news:[email protected]...

  13. #13
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Is there 'graph paper' in excel?

    One way:

    enter a space character at the bottom right corner of the area you which
    to print.

  14. #14
    Forum Expert Cutter's Avatar
    Ontario,Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    6,451
    One way:

    enter a space character at the bottom right corner of the area you which
    to print.

    Proving once again that although Excel is VERY smart, it's easily fooled.

Closed Thread