Is it possible to grab just the Mondays-Thursdays of every month?

  1. #1
    Arlen
    Guest

    Is it possible to grab just the Mondays-Thursdays of every month?

    I am creating a spreadsheet to keep track of dentist office productivity. In
    one box, I want to allow the user to enter the month and have the workdates
    change accordingly. For example, our office works Mondays through Thursdays.
    In 2005, the first Monday in January is the 3rd. How could I change the
    dates to read 3, 4, 5, 6, then skip to 10, 11, 12, 13, then skip until all
    the M-Th of the month are included.

    These dates should change if the user types in a different month.

    Thank you for your help.

    Arlen

  2. #2
    Alex
    Guest

    RE: Is it possible to grab just the Mondays-Thursdays of every month?

    Arlen

    Check out the =WEEKDAY function in Excel.

    Alex

  3. #3
    Gary Brown
    Guest

    RE: Is it possible to grab just the Mondays-Thursdays of every month?

    The MOD function is often used to take care of this type of issue.
    MOD(cell address,7) will produce...
    0 for Satuday
    1 for Sunday
    2 for Monday
    3 for Tuesday
    4 for Wednesday
    5 for Thursday
    6 for Friday

    if you put the starting date in cell A1, the following formula in cell A2
    should work for Monday (2) through Thursday (5).

    =IF(OR(MOD(A1,7)<2,MOD(A1,7)=5),A1+CHOOSE(MOD(A1,7)+1,2,1,0,6,5,4,3),A1+1)

    In English... If A1 is less than Monday OR A1 is equal to Thursday then Add
    enough days the date in A1 to get to the following Monday [this part takes
    into account if you, for example, plop a hard-coded date of a Friday,
    Saturday or Sunday into the middle of the formulas], otherwise add 1 day to
    the date in A1.

    Hope this helps,
    Sincerely,
    Gary Brown

  4. #4
    Gary Brown
    Guest

    RE: Is it possible to grab just the Mondays-Thursdays of every mon

    Good point about the 'Weekday' function
    Change the formula below to read...
    =IF(OR(WEEKDAY(A1)<2,WEEKDAY(A1)=5),A1+CHOOSE(WEEKDAY(A1)+1,2,1,0,6,5,4,3),A1+1)
    HTH,
    Gary Brown

  5. #5
    Arlen
    Guest

    RE: Is it possible to grab just the Mondays-Thursdays of every mon

    THank you very much, Gary and Alex. I'm trying it out right now (11:23 PST)

  6. #6
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to grab just the Mondays-Thursdays of every month?

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 10:47:04 -0800, "Arlen" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I am creating a spreadsheet to keep track of dentist office productivity. In
    >one box, I want to allow the user to enter the month and have the workdates
    >change accordingly. For example, our office works Mondays through Thursdays.
    > In 2005, the first Monday in January is the 3rd. How could I change the
    >dates to read 3, 4, 5, 6, then skip to 10, 11, 12, 13, then skip until all
    >the M-Th of the month are included.
    >
    >These dates should change if the user types in a different month.
    >
    >Thank you for your help.
    >
    >Arlen

    If you put some date in the month in A1, then the following formula in A2 will
    give the first Monday of that month:

    A2: =A1-DAY(A1)+8-WEEKDAY(A1-DAY(A1)+6)

    Then in

    A3: =A2+1

    and copy/drag to A5 giving

    A4: =A3+1
    A5: =A4+1

    Then in

    A6: =IF(ISNUMBER(A2),IF(MONTH(A2+7)=MONTH($A$1),A2+7,""),"")

    and copy/drag down to A20

    --ron