Q: search in string

  1. #1
    JIM.H.
    Guest

    Q: search in string

    Hello,
    How would you search a string from another and check the return code. I was
    using Search(), excel does not recognize it.
    Thanks,
    Jim.

  2. #2
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: Q: search in string

    Would you post the formula along with the values involved?

  3. #3
    JIM.H.
    Guest

    Re: Q: search in string

    retValue = Search("X", "XXXX", 1)
    I get Sun or Function not defined on Search when I try to run it.

  4. #4
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: Q: search in string

    Not sure where you're heading, maybe:

    =ISNUMBER(SEARCH("X","XXXX"))

    would return TRUE if the substring "X" is part of the string "XXXX",
    otherwise FALSE.

  5. #5
    JIM.H.
    Guest

    Re: Q: search in string

    Thanks Aladin. I am trying to search string in a string in the module in
    excel, not in the cell. It works in the cell, but not working in the module.

  6. #6

    Re: Q: search in string

    Do you mean VBA?

    If yes, take a look at InStr in VBA's help.