Excel auto-fit

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    NancyC
    Guest

    Excel auto-fit

    I accidently dragged and deleted the format width autofit option on my
    toolbar. I want it back. I know you can double click the column top to get
    the whole column to autofit; but sometimes I just want a cell to be the
    autofit width for the entire column. How can I get it back?

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: Excel auto-fit

    You can reset toolbars under tools>customize>toolbars and reset

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  3. #3
    NancyC
    Guest

    RE: Excel auto-fit

    Sorry, it was not on the toolbar, it is on the top command bar where "File
    is. I used to be able to hit Format Column and the Autofit option was there.
    I tried resetting toolbars; but I do not believe this is called a toolbar,
    it is where the commands are like File, Edit, View, Insert, Format, etc. I
    had accidently dragged it somehwere and it disappeared.

  4. #4
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Excel auto-fit

    Use Peo's approach but select Worksheet Menu Bar (towards the end of the
    list) and then do the reset.

    --
    Jim Rech
    Excel MVP
    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Ann Shaw
    Guest

    Re: Excel auto-fit

    I have a similar problem. I was previously using Excell 2000 and when I
    upgraded to 2003 the autofit icon that I had put on my extensively customized
    toolbar was no longer there.

    I have searched for the icon in tools/customize, but can't find it to drag
    on the toolbar. Is it called something different now? I don't want to reset
    toolbar because of customization. Am not having any luck with "Double-click
    the left column border in the column header to set the column to Best Fit."
    I must be clicking in the wrong place, but can't find the correct place.

    Any help greatly appreciated.

  6. #6

    Re: Excel auto-fit

    I've never had autofit on my toolbar and I've never had any trouble with just
    double clicking on the row/column headers.

    But you could add an icon to your favorite toolbar:

    Tools|customize (just to show that dialog)
    now click on Format, then column, then ctrl-drag "autofit selection" to your
    favorite toolbar.

    ctrl-drag copies that icon. If you just drag it, you'll be moving it.