In Excel 2003, entering date without slashes, the date is incorre.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    sj
    Guest

    In Excel 2003, entering date without slashes, the date is incorre.

    enter date 010305 and the date changes to 3/18/28 very strange and can be
    repeated. Is there a fix for this? Running excel 2003, 11.6113.5703

  2. #2
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: In Excel 2003, entering date without slashes, the date is incorre.

    You have to use a date separator for Excel to know what you're entering.
    Dates are in reality just serial numbers starting with 1/1/1900 as day 1.
    Day 10305 is evidently 3/18/1928.

    --
    Jim Rech
    Excel MVP
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: In Excel 2003, entering date without slashes, the date is incorre.

    If you have a need for a lot of such dates, you could try the QDE addin, to
    be found at http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.QDEDownload.html

    RP

  4. #4
    sj
    Guest

    RE: In Excel 2003, entering date without slashes, the date is incorre.

    my client says this worked in Office 97 and he formatted the cells to be date
    and then just entered numbers like 010505 and it set the formatting
    correctly-any other idea?

  5. #5
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: In Excel 2003, entering date without slashes, the date is incorre.

    >>my client says this worked in Office 97 and he formatted the cells to be
    >>date

    and then just entered numbers like 010505 and it set the formatting
    correctly-any other idea?

    Your client, ah, misremembers I think. Excel 97 and 2003 are the same in
    this regard. Cell formatting affects how a value in a cell is displayed,
    not how Excel interprets it at entry time. A macro of course can perform
    all sorts of transformations so maybe that was involved.

  6. #6
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: In Excel 2003, entering date without slashes, the date is incorre.

    sj,

    It couldn't have. Dates worked the same in Excel97 as in more recent
    versions. It's seeing 010305 as the number 10,305, which is the date-serial
    number for the date 3/18/28. You must use some kind of date separator for
    it to see it as 01/03/05. Consider the add-in that Bob suggested. It will
    allow entry as you want, and will convert it to the intended date.

    --
    Earl Kiosterud

  7. #7
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: In Excel 2003, entering date without slashes, the date is incorre.

    try
    right click sheet tab>view code>copy/paste this>SAVE

    If Target.row < 2 Or Target.Column <> 1 Then Exit Sub
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    x = Target
    Target = Left(x, 2) & "/" & Mid(x, 3, 2) & "/" & Right(x, 2)
    Application.EnableEvents = True

    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    [email protected]

  8. #8
    I am not sure what you are wanting to accomplish by entering the dates that way, but you can right click the cell click on... Format Cells then left under catergory pick... Custom then on the right click in the Type: area and enter this exactly like the following 00"/"00"/"## This will give you a display you want. 02/05/05
    if you don't want the date displayed this way, then you can format it like the following 0000## This will give you 020505

    Hope this helps

    Michael