Formating h:mm AM/PM

  1. #1
    Mike R
    Guest

    Formating h:mm AM/PM

    I have a time sheet that requires a space be enter between the time and AM or
    PM, 1:00 PM instead of 1:00PM. Entery without the space gives "#Value!" in
    the destination cell. Is there a way of formating this so as the person doing
    data entery can omit the space and yet the space shows after they hit enter,
    or not there after they hit enter? Does it matter? I have tried formatting
    without the space through custom formatting and that does not seem to change
    anything. (xl2000 on xp)

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Formating h:mm AM/PM

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 09:17:08 -0800, Mike R <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I have a time sheet that requires a space be enter between the time and AM or
    >PM, 1:00 PM instead of 1:00PM. Entery without the space gives "#Value!" in
    >the destination cell. Is there a way of formating this so as the person doing
    >data entery can omit the space and yet the space shows after they hit enter,
    >or not there after they hit enter? Does it matter? I have tried formatting
    >without the space through custom formatting and that does not seem to change
    >anything. (xl2000 on xp)

    Excel date and time formats only alter how an entry is *displayed*. They have
    no effect on how an entry is *entered*.

    You will need a VB solution to do what you want; or you could use data
    validation to ensure proper entries.

    --ron

  3. #3
    Mike R
    Guest

    Re: Formating h:mm AM/PM

    Thanks for your reply Ron I appreciate it. At least now I have the direction
    that I need. Thanks again!!

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Formating h:mm AM/PM

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 16:05:01 -0800, Mike R <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Thanks for your reply Ron I appreciate it. At least now I have the direction
    >that I need. Thanks again!!

    Glad to help. Post back if you require anything more.

    --ron