Time to dollars

  1. #1
    Atlanta Rudy
    Guest

    Time to dollars

    I have a schedule that works really well to calculate how many total hours
    per employee, but when I want to add a column that multiplies the total hours
    by an rate per hour, the result isn't right--it comes out in the form of
    time. If I have a cell that results in 32:00:00 total hours and have that
    multiplied by say 7 dollars per hour the answer comes out as 224:00:00. I
    need to use the result in other labor cost calculations, but it wont' work as
    a time. Is there a way to make that into a number (e.g. 224 )? I need to be
    able to divied the 224:00:00 result by a number equal to total revenue and
    derive a percentage. Any ideas?

    Thanks people.

    Rudy

  2. #2
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: Time to dollars

    =A1*7*24

    Format the cell as General.

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  3. #3
    Atlanta Rudy
    Guest

    Re: Time to dollars

    Thanks Jason, but that only converts the first answer of 224:00:00 to
    9.3333333.

    The schedule has times entered in and out 3:00pm to 11:00pm, then sums each
    day up for a total of 32:00:00. I've made another cell do the multiplication
    of 32:00:00 x 7 (the employee's hourly rate of pay) which gives a result of
    224:00:00. Since all the results are in time, I can't divide to get a proper
    ratio. Changing the results cells format to anything else won't give me
    total time. I'm stuck in a catch 22.

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Time to dollars

    No you are not stuck in catch 22

    =cell_with_32:00*24*7

    formatted as general returns 224 as expected

    224:00:00 formatted as general returns 9.3333333
    you need to multiply by 24 as well

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Atlanta Rudy
    Guest

    Re: Time to dollars

    Thanks everybody......EVERYTHING WORKS!!!!! Now my managers who don't
    understand where the "any key" is can turn in a shcedule without a bunch of
    "VALUE" in the total fields. Thank you all very much.

    Rudy