De-Attach Macro?? Is there any way?

  1. #1
    marika1981
    Guest

    De-Attach Macro?? Is there any way?

    Is there any way to De-Attach a Macro from a graphic button?? I need to
    create a "macros-free" version of a spreadsheet I have with hundreds of macro
    buttons (without deleting the buttons). I've deleted all the macros, but the
    buttons still look for the non-existing macros.

    Is there any way to keep the buttons but delete the macros????

    Please reply if you know!!

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: De-Attach Macro?? Is there any way?

    Marika,

    If they are shapes, then try

    Sub Macro3()
    Dim myShape As Shape
    For Each myShape In ActiveSheet.Shapes
    myShape.OnAction = ""
    Next
    End Sub

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: De-Attach Macro?? Is there any way?

    Marika,

    If the buttons run macros, what good would they be without the macros?
    That's how the buttons get stuff done -- they run macros.

    --
    Earl Kiosterud

  4. #4
    marika1981
    Guest

    Re: De-Attach Macro?? Is there any way?

    Good question. I'm working on a Mac and the people who need to see the
    project/spreadsheet I've created are working on PCs. When I send them the
    file or give it to them on cdrom, they can't open the file. As such, I
    wanted to get rid of the macros just so they could see the file and its
    layout.

    Certainly, the MORE CENTRAL question would be: do you know why macros
    created on a Mac (Excel version 10.1.0) wouldn't open on a PC running Excel
    2000? The tech people think it might be a security issue that can be changed
    on the macros.....

    Please let me know if you have any thoughts - I'm in deep trouble.....

    Thanks so very much..

  5. #5

    Re: De-Attach Macro?? Is there any way?

    There are a few Mac users who hang around here, but if you don't get a good
    answer soon, you may want to post in the macintosh newsgroup.

    microsoft.public.excel.macintosh

  6. #6
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: De-Attach Macro?? Is there any way?

    I think the active Mac newsgroup is:

    microsoft.public.mac.office.excel

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  7. #7
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: De-Attach Macro?? Is there any way?

    Sure:

    Public Sub DeAttach()
    Dim ws As Worksheet
    Dim sh As Shape
    For Each sh In ws.Shapes
    sh.OnAction = ""
    Next sh
    Next ws
    End Sub

    In article <[email protected]>,

  8. #8

    Re: De-Attach Macro?? Is there any way?

    That older one still shows up when I search for Excel. But I'd didn't actually
    connect to it to retrieve the headers.

    (JE posted a similar response to a similar post that pointed to a similar dead
    newsgroup.)

    <hehe>

  9. #9
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: De-Attach Macro?? Is there any way?

    I see the microsoft.public.excel.macintosh messages when I compile my
    monthly ng stats. Most of the posts are announcements from MS that say:

    The new, improved newsgroup for this forum is:
    microsoft.public.mac.office.excel

    So you should listen to JE!

  10. #10

    Re: De-Attach Macro?? Is there any way?

    Yes, ma'am.

  11. #11
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: De-Attach Macro?? Is there any way?

    Old newsgroups never die...

  12. #12

    Re: De-Attach Macro?? Is there any way?

    I understand that in general, but I thought that MS would stop carrying it (kind
    of like when worksheet.functions replaced worksheetfunctions (replaced in MS
    land, added to in the real world).)

  13. #13
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: De-Attach Macro?? Is there any way?

    The philosophy seems to be that it's better to keep the ng around on the
    server, posting redirection notices, than to have an abandoned group
    with their name on it out in usenet-space gathering disgruntled
    posters...

    If that's the case, it seems like a reasonable strategy.

    worksheetfunctions, IIRC, was replaced because the name doesn't meet the
    RFC length criteria.

  14. #14

    Re: De-Attach Macro?? Is there any way?

    That makes sense, too.

    But then it confuses me when I search for just the newsgroup names <vbg>.