Recognizing weekends and changing to weekdays in Excel

  1. #1
    hanauer
    Guest

    Recognizing weekends and changing to weekdays in Excel

    I want to set up a list of milestones in Excel (i.e., project starts on Day
    1, writers identified on day 3, drafts due on day 10, etc.) where I can type
    in the start date and have Excel fill in the dates for each milestone
    automatically. If Day 3 falls on a weekend, how can I make Excel change that
    result to the weekday previous to it?

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Recognizing weekends and changing to weekdays in Excel

    Assuming Day1 date is in A1, use

    =A1+3-(WEEKDAY(A1+3)=1)*2-(WEEKDAY(A1+3)=7)*1

    -------

    Bob Phillips
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Recognizing weekends and changing to weekdays in Excel

    On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 14:21:04 -0800, "hanauer"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I want to set up a list of milestones in Excel (i.e., project starts on Day
    >1, writers identified on day 3, drafts due on day 10, etc.) where I can type
    >in the start date and have Excel fill in the dates for each milestone
    >automatically. If Day 3 falls on a weekend, how can I make Excel change that
    >result to the weekday previous to it?

    =workday(A1+4,-1)

    If the workday function is not available, and returns the #NAME? error, install
    and load the Analysis ToolPak add-in.

    On the Tools menu, click Add-Ins.
    In the Add-Ins available list, select the Analysis ToolPak box, and then click
    OK.
    If necessary, follow the instructions in the setup program

    --ron