Open two excel windows side by side

  1. #1
    Dave Berry
    Guest

    Open two excel windows side by side

    I am trying to open two excel windows side by side. I just upgraded to
    Office 2003. Previously, I had office XP on my computer and when I had a
    excel file open and opened another, a separate excel window would open. I
    could compare the two files side by side, minimize one window or another and
    move the windows where I pleased. The only way to do this that I know of in
    Office 2003 is open the 2 files I want to view and then go Window-> Compare
    Side By Side. This is not exactly what I am looking for. I want the windows
    to be two separate entities. I want the same functionality as the previous
    version of excel. Please help.

  2. #2
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Open two excel windows side by side

    Dave

    Not with you, Compare side-by-side is additional not a replacement.

    Open the workbooks and select Window>Arrange... and select you preferred
    method, tiled, horizontal, etc.

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    [email protected]HIS

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Open two excel windows side by side

    Dave

    How about Window>New Window then Window>Arrange>Vertical?

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: Open two excel windows side by side

    > excel file open and opened another, a separate excel window would open...

    Not sure on this one, but would it be the following...

    Tools | Options | View Tab | and uncheck "Windows in Taskbar"

    Dana DeLouis
    Win XP & Office 2003

  5. #5
    Jason Dove
    Guest

    Re: Open two excel windows side by side

    Obviously no one at Microsoft has a clue how to work Excel.

    I am looking for the exact same thing that Dave is talking about in his
    message.

    It is not under

    Tools " | Options | View Tab | "Windows in Taskbar"

    IT IS NOT any of the tools under the WINDOW.

    A completey separate window opens up. I have that function with every other
    Microsoft Windows application but in Excel.

    If I open a new Microsoft Word file, a new Microsoft Window opens up. I DO
    NOT have to go to Window | Arrange or tile or whatever. A completely
    separate window opens.

    I know that the function is out there. One of my coworkers has it and has
    no clue how he go it set up. The documentation in help is NO HELP.

  6. #6
    Jason Dove
    Guest

    RE: Open two excel windows side by side

    I made a suggestion to Microsoft to make available again the multiple
    windows for Excel.

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor
    if you have a book open and do file/open, you will get one window.
    to open in a different window you need to run a new instance of excel.
    to do this, pretend that you do not have the other excel book open and open the second book like you would a new book - either find where the file is located and double click to open, or go to programs/excel which will open a blank book and then do file/open from that window.