Cumulative Total

  1. #1
    RockyMountains
    Guest

    Cumulative Total

    I have data as follows: I would like to create a formula that gives me a
    cumulative balance by owner by date -- How do I do that? Thanks.
    Owner Date Amount
    1 01/01/90 100.00
    1 02/01/90 -50.00
    1 03/01/90 -25.00
    2 01/01/90 50.00
    2 02/01/90 75.00

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Cumulative Total

    Hi

    not sure what you mean by owner by date (as all your dates for the owners
    are different), however here's a couple of ideas:

    =SUMIF(A2:A100,1,C2:C100)
    will give you the total of amounts for owner 1

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A100=1),--(B2:B100=DATEVALUE("1/1/05")),C2:C100)
    will give you the total of amounts for owner 1 for the 1/1/05

    or look at using pivot tables to summaries your data in many different ways
    - check out www.contextures.com/tiptech.html for details on how to use pivot
    tables.

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Cumulative Total

    One way:

    D2: =SUMIF($A$2:A2,A2,$C$2:C2)

    Copy down as far as necessary.

    In article <[email protected]>,

  4. #4
    RockyMountains
    Guest

    Re: Cumulative Total

    Thankyou, I'm sorry I should have put in my question that I am looking for a
    formula that gives me a running cumulative by owner by saledate total. Is
    there a way to do that with the sumif?

  5. #5
    RockyMountains
    Guest

    Re: Cumulative Total

    Thanks, I'm looking for the running cumulative total by owner by saledate.
    so for any given sale date I would like to calculate the cumulative total up
    to that point in time. Any additional Ideas. Thanks.

  6. #6
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Cumulative Total

    If your data is sorted by date, that's what the formula I gave you
    does...

    If they're not sorted by date, a Pivot Table would probably be your best
    choice.

    In article <[email protected]>,

  7. #7
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Cumulative Total

    Hi
    understand now ...

    try
    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A6=F2),--(B2:B6<=E2),C2:C6)

    where cell F2 contains the owner and E2 contains the date.

  8. #8
    RockyMountains
    Guest

    Re: Cumulative Total