Outlines

  1. #1
    Jim Pockmire
    Guest

    Outlines

    Is it possible to create an outline without subtotals that is 4 levels deep?
    e.g. given a spreadsheet with 4 columns, Country, State, City, Zip - can I
    create an outline that at the highest level will show countries only, then
    expand to states, etc.? I have no data to sub-total.

  2. #2
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Outlines

    If I understand what you're asking, you'll have to insert at least one blank
    column between each of your data columns.
    XL will not permit 2 adjoining columns to become 2 separate groups.

    After inserting the blank columns, simply select any *one* of your data
    columns by clicking on the letter in the header row, and then:
    <Shift> <Alt> <RightArrow>.
    Do this to each of the other columns, making sure *not* to include the blank
    columns in any of the seletions.
    Do nothing with "Country" column.

    To "Ungroup", select the entire column and:
    <Shift> <Alt> <LeftArrow>.

    NOW, is this the effect you're looking for?
    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jim Pockmire
    Guest

    Re: Outlines

    This appears to group by columns, not rows - so I am not sure if I explained
    this incorrectly or am not following the directions correctly.

    In the example below, I would like countries listed, then expanding the rows
    for a country would show states. Expanding a state would show it's cities
    and so on.

    news:ODPdESB%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Outlines

    You can use the Subtotal feature, even if you don't have data to subtotal --

    Select a cell in the table
    Choose Data>Sort
    Sort the table by Zip
    Choose Data>Sort
    Sort the table by Country, State, and City

    Choose Data>Subtotals
    At each change in: Country
    Use function: Count
    Add subtotal to: City
    Remove check mark from 'Replace current subtotals'
    Click OK

    Repeat the Subtotal steps for State and City

    To hide the Subtotals:
    Click the Select All button (to the left of the Column A button)
    Choose Format>Conditional Formatting
    From the first dropdown, choose Formula Is
    In the formula box, type: =ISNUMBER($C1)
    (where City is in column C)
    Click the Format button
    On the Font tab, choose the white colour (or a colour to match the cell
    background colour)
    Click OK, click OK

    Jim Pockmire wrote:
    > This appears to group by columns, not rows - so I am not sure if I explained
    > this incorrectly or am not following the directions correctly.
    >
    > In the example below, I would like countries listed, then expanding the rows
    > for a country would show states. Expanding a state would show it's cities
    > and so on.
    >

    > "RagDyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:ODPdESB%[email protected]...
    >
    >>If I understand what you're asking, you'll have to insert at least one
    >>blank
    >>column between each of your data columns.
    >>XL will not permit 2 adjoining columns to become 2 separate groups.
    >>
    >>After inserting the blank columns, simply select any *one* of your data
    >>columns by clicking on the letter in the header row, and then:
    >><Shift> <Alt> <RightArrow>.
    >>Do this to each of the other columns, making sure *not* to include the
    >>blank
    >>columns in any of the seletions.
    >>Do nothing with "Country" column.
    >>
    >>To "Ungroup", select the entire column and:
    >><Shift> <Alt> <LeftArrow>.
    >>
    >>NOW, is this the effect you're looking for?
    >>--
    >>
    >>HTH,
    >>
    >>RD
    >>==============================================
    >>Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit!
    >>==============================================
    >>
    >>"Jim Pockmire" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:%[email protected]...
    >>Is it possible to create an outline without subtotals that is 4 levels
    >>deep?
    >>e.g. given a spreadsheet with 4 columns, Country, State, City, Zip - can I
    >>create an outline that at the highest level will show countries only, then
    >>expand to states, etc.? I have no data to sub-total.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
    http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html