Change Excel Exponent Default Setting

  1. #1
    Scull
    Guest

    Change Excel Exponent Default Setting

    I work for a company that is implementing a new chart of accounts to
    manage our business. The new account length will be 12 characters in
    length(e.g. 611500100001). Unfortunately, when this is entered in
    Excel - Excel automatically changes the value to an exponent
    (6.115E+11).
    Now I know I can change the format to display the number correctly, but
    actually want to either change the default exponent length setting or
    worse case: remove the exponent feature altogether. One of the other
    reasons that this will become a big problem is the fact that in my
    company we utilize CSV (comma separated value) files extensively and we
    modify it using Excel. Everytime a CSV file is opened all of the
    accounts are changed to exponents.
    Does anyone know of anyway to change excel's default setting for
    switching a number to an exponent? If not, I'd even entertain the
    thought of removing the exponent entirely from Excel as it will become
    that big of a problem.
    Thanks in advance for any feedback!

    Rich S

  2. #2
    Gary Smith
    Guest

    Re: Change Excel Exponent Default Setting

    Make your account numbers text, and they'll stay just as you entered them.
    Account numbers aren't really numbers anyway. They're identifiers that
    happen to be composed of numerals.

    --
    Gary L. Smith [email protected]
    Columbus, Ohio

  3. #3
    Scull
    Guest

    Re: Change Excel Exponent Default Setting

    Gary,
    Thanks for the reply! That works fine for my XLS files but
    unfortunately it does not work for my CSV files. Excel automatically
    opens CSV files and makes the assumption that the account ID is a
    number and changes it to an exponent. I've tried saving the CSV files
    using various text identifiers which works well unless it's re-opened
    with Excel. At my company, the CSV format has been the best medium
    with which many users, inclusing approximately 50 non-technical users,
    utilize to import data into various applications. In addition, I do
    not think we have a suitable alternative file format with which we
    could use to both modify then import data into our applications.
    Any other feedback would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks!

  4. #4
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Change Excel Exponent Default Setting

    Try changing the file extension of your import file from .csv to .txt.
    This should open the "Import Wizard", where you can stipulate a "Text"
    format.
    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Scull
    Guest

    Re: Change Excel Exponent Default Setting

    Thanks for the reply of changing the file extension, but I need
    something even easier than that. The reason: I know our non-technical
    users will be lost if/when the "Import Wizard" kicks in and it will
    lead to more questions than answers.

  6. #6

    Re: Change Excel Exponent Default Setting

    If the CSV files you work with are always the same layout, maybe you could:

    1. Change the name of the file to .txt
    2. Start a new workbook
    3. Record a macro when you open it and specify each field
    4. Add headers/print layout/filters/subtotals, whatever else you can think of.
    5. Add a button from the Forms toolbar to the first worksheet in that workbook.
    6. Distribute that workbook with the macro to the users.

    Save all your data files as .txt and tell them to open the
    "WorkbookToImport.xls", click the giant button and select their filename.

    With all the extra stuff you do in your macro (formatting, filters, freezepanes,
    too), maybe the users will see that as an even better way than double clicking
    on the .csv files.

    If you need help with your recorded macro, post back.

  7. #7
    Scull
    Guest

    Re: Change Excel Exponent Default Setting

    Dave-
    Thanks very much for your suggestion. It's certainly a reasonable
    solution that I believe could be implemented without much difficulty.
    In fact, I am actually pretty experienced with writing VBA macros so I
    think I could probably do it myself, but I most certainly appreciate
    the offer to help with the macro and if I choose to go with your
    solution and run into problems - I'll be sure to post back.
    I'd still prefer a solution that would change the default setting of
    Excel, but don't know if that's even possible. In my business, there's
    really no need for exponents at any point.
    Well, thanks again for yours and everyone else's feedback!

  8. #8
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: Change Excel Exponent Default Setting

    Without changing the file name extension, you could use Data | Import
    External Data | Import Data

    However, this will bring up the Import Wizard which I see you do not want to
    do.
    Perhaps make a template that has a macro that does this data importing for
    you.

    Dana DeLouis
    Win XP & Office 2003