Saving Received Excel Attachments

  1. #1
    Lou
    Guest

    Saving Received Excel Attachments

    When I try to save a received excel email attachment to My Documents, it
    appears all is well. When I try to retrieve the file, it is not listed in My
    Documents. I use Windows Explorer to locate the file and it shows it listed
    in My Documents. Many times I go to My Documents and it is not listed. This
    happens over and over. What type of problem is this? Should I reload Office
    2000 or is this a bug?

  2. #2
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Saving Received Excel Attachments

    Lou,

    This doesn't sound like an Excel problem. You have folder My Documents
    open, and don't see the file, but in Windows Explorer, you do. That
    shouldn't happen. Now if you're using File - Open in Excel, and you're in
    folder My Documents, that's different. Which is it?

    --
    Earl Kiosterud

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Saving Received Excel Attachments

    Any chance you're looking in the wrong "My documents" folder?

    Next time you save an attachment, use that dropdown to verify the full path when
    you save.

    Maybe using windows start|search will help you find any "missing" files.

  4. #4
    Lou
    Guest

    Re: Saving Received Excel Attachments

    Earl,
    I found the file shortcut in "My Recent Documents" in the "My Documents"
    folder. It is still not listed in the general folder of "My Documents".

  5. #5
    Lou
    Guest

    Re: Saving Received Excel Attachments

    Dave,

    I found the file shortcut listed in the "My Recent Documents" which is in
    the "My Documents" folder. It is still not listed in "My Documents".

    Lou

  6. #6

    Re: Saving Received Excel Attachments

    When you did that test save, did you use that dropdown at the top to find the
    "real" location?

    Or save it where you want and then...
    with that workbook active
    Hit alt-f11 (to get to the VBE)
    hit ctrl-g (to see the immediate window)

    Then type this and hit enter:
    ?activeworkbook.FullName

    You should get back the full path and name of that workbook.

    I got this in my test:
    C:\My Documents\excel\book2.xls

    ======
    I use Win98 and I do have a Recent folder, but I don't have a "My Recent
    Documents" folder.

    In win98, I can click on windows start button|documents and see a list of the
    most recently editted documents.

    (It kind of sounds like "my recent documents" is the same kind of thing for the
    version of windows you're running.)