Pivot-How to add field value to already made group

  1. #1
    AnnP
    Guest

    Pivot-How to add field value to already made group

    If I have already grouped values in a Pivot is there a way I can add an
    additional value without ungrouping and then selecting everything plus the
    value I left out and then grouping again.

    I hate having to undo my group when I accidently left out a value.

    Thanks for any help with this.

  2. #2
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Pivot-How to add field value to already made group

    Ann

    Not quite with you as I can think of two things you may have done. If the
    data is external just refresh it and it should get included without anything
    happening to the grouping.

    If it is Excel data on another sheet, just add the data to the bottom and
    then go to the pivot table, invoke the wizard and press 'back' at the first
    screen you get and extend the data range to include the new rows and then
    refresh the pivot

    Hoped I understood with one of these

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    [email protected]HIS

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    AnnP
    Guest

    Re: Pivot-How to add field value to already made group

    Nick,

    My message was not clear.

    I have used a field as a row in my Pivot Table and the values for that field
    show up as rows. I then select on the values I want to group right click and
    select Group.

    What I am trying to do is not have to right click on the group and Ungroup
    then do the whole Group again because I left a value or values out of the
    group I made.

    Does that make more sense. All of my data is in the Excel table etc.

    Thanks.

    I would like to use my existing group and just add a value

  4. #4
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Pivot-How to add field value to already made group

    Ann

    No, unfortunately you need to ungroup and group...more care ;-)

  5. #5
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Pivot-How to add field value to already made group

    Your call, you can always select the existing group and the new record and
    then group those and just drag the old group off the table. Not neat and
    tidy but one way of handling it.

    You could also just add another column to the data table and then put a flag
    in there to group all the items you want and then drag that field in to your
    table.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

  6. #6
    Los Angeles
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: Pivot-How to add field value to already made group

    I'm currently taking this class, here's the solution:
    Highlight all of the fields that already exist in the group by clicking on the first field, hold down the Shift key and click on the last field of the existing Group, then release all keys. All fields should be highlighted in gray.
    Next, hold down the CTRL key, click on all of the other fields that you want to add to that group, the field(s) will have a border around them.
    Then release all keys again.
    You should now see the existing Group fields highlighted in gray and the ones you want added with borders around them.
    Then click on Analyze in the Ribbon and then click Group Selection. You will now see the new fields added to the existing Group.
    TIP: Make sure you are only highlighting the field you want to add and not the field heading.
    Here's a screenshots:
    Attachment 715825
    Feel free to ask me if you need assistance.