Unwanted blank line in cell with wrapped text

  1. #1
    bbl
    Guest

    Unwanted blank line in cell with wrapped text

    Unwanted blank line sometimes appears in cell with wrapped text. Editing,
    Autofit height and width, and justify do not eliminate it. Forcing column
    width to be excessively wide makes it go away, as does reducing the font size
    (neither of which I want to do). What's going on? This only happens in some
    wrapped text cells.

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Unwanted blank line in cell with wrapped text

    bbl

    If you uncheck "wrap text" do you see a little square box in the text where
    the blank line is?

    If so, someone entered a new line using ALT + ENTER.

    In that case, you can get rid of these boxes by Edit>Replace

    what: hit ALT + 0010(you won't see anything but it's there)
    with: nothing

    The 0010 must be typed on the NumPad to the right side of keyboard.

    Could also be 0013

    If can't resolve perhaps David McRitchie's TRIMALL macro will do the trick.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  3. #3
    mirage1210
    Guest

    Re: Unwanted blank line in cell with wrapped text

    This original post is a question I have, too. It's text that I have entered
    and I don't have any manual line breaks. If I take away the word wrap
    formatting, it loses the extra blank line--and if I then auto-fit that
    column, it fits just the text as entered, so I don't think there are any
    extra items there.

    I looked at the macro you referenced but that appears to be useful for, say,
    if someone had copied and pasted the contents of the worksheet from somewhere
    else.

    I'm really surprised to find that there's not some simple answer to this
    question! :-) It's something I've been annoyed by for years, but I'd just
    never gone looking for a solution. Thanks anyway!