Goal Seek - Why make the PV negative?

  1. #1
    Mytpoet67
    Guest

    Goal Seek - Why make the PV negative?

    I'm using goal seek on the following data to find the Term (in years) if the
    Monthly Repayment is 2000 on a loan. The only way I can get goal seek to
    find the correct answer (19.56536985 years) is to make the PV negative (-B6)
    in the PMT formula. The PMT formula in cell B10 is =PMT(B7/12,B8*12,-B6).
    Can somone explain why the PV has to be negative? I'm not the most
    mathematically-minded person.
    A B
    3 Purchase Price 250000
    4 Purchase Costs 11500
    6 Loan Amount 211500
    7 Interest Rate 9.60%
    8 Term (in years) 30

    10 Monthly Repayment 1794

    --
    Much thanks,
    Mytpoet67

  2. #2
    Datasort
    Guest

    RE: Goal Seek - Why make the PV negative?

    Excel uses a cash in cash out method.

    If you borrow 100,000 then you owe 750 a month .. ie -750

    Good luck