Creating a bigger list in Data Validation

  1. #1
    shezageek
    Guest

    Creating a bigger list in Data Validation

    Hi all,

    Is Data Validation limited in terms of the items you can create for the drop
    down list. I am creating a shopping list and would like to enter in all my
    grocerie items, but there are too many. Any work around solutions?

  2. #2
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Creating a bigger list in Data Validation

    Hi Shezageek,

    By default the length is limited to 8 items.

    See Debra Dalgleish's workaround suggestion at

    http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Font

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:%23XtmRRS%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    shezageek
    Guest

    Re: Creating a bigger list in Data Validation

    Thanks Norman!

    news:eFvAzWS%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Creating a bigger list in Data Validation

    Norman, geek,

    Just thought I'd mention. In Excel 2002, the Data Validation list doesn't
    seem to be limited to 8 items. If the list is larger than 8 items, it uses
    a scroll bar. I just made a validation list of 40 items.

    --
    Earl Kiosterud

  5. #5
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Creating a bigger list in Data Validation

    It's approx 32000 items that can be used in a list

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  6. #6
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Creating a bigger list in Data Validation

    "Peo Sjoblom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It's approx 32000 items that can be used in a list

    Hi Peo,

    Thank you.

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

  7. #7
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Creating a bigger list in Data Validation

    "Earl Kiosterud" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eiBGJUY%[email protected]...
    > Norman, geek,
    >
    > Just thought I'd mention. In Excel 2002, the Data Validation list doesn't
    > seem to be limited to 8 items. If the list is larger than 8 items, it
    > uses a scroll bar. I just made a validation list of 40 items.
    >
    > --
    > Earl Kiosterud
    > mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net

    Hi Earl,

    Thank you, you are quite correct..

    I intended to refer to the display length rather than a maximum usage limit
    but failed to add a clarifying qualification.

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

  8. #8
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Creating a bigger list in Data Validation

    Hi Shezageek,

    As Earl's adjacent post indicates, the 8 items does not represent a limit
    to the number of items which can be used in a a data validation list .That,
    as Peo points out, is 32k.

    A data validation dropdown displays an extended validation list, 8 lines
    at a time, amd provides a scroll bar to scroll through the extended list.

    In the link which I gave you, Debra Dalgleish demonstrates a workaround to
    display more than 8 items at a time.

    I hope that my initial reponse did not mislead you.

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:Or%23M8ZS%[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Creating a bigger list in Data Validation

    Norman,

    Then will increasing the column width work?

    --
    Earl Kiosterud

    news:u%235pR6Z%[email protected]...

  10. #10
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Creating a bigger list in Data Validation

    Hi Earl,

    > Then will increasing the column width work?

    Thank you for your reply.

    Presumably I am missing something - perhaps you could elaborate?

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:ebqAuTb%[email protected]...

  11. #11
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Creating a bigger list in Data Validation

    How many are your grocery items? There is a scroll down arrow that you can
    use, if you mean the number visible every time you click the dropdown
    it is 8, however you can put approx 32000 items in a list that can be
    selected and you have to do some major shopping to reach that
    A combobox from the control toolbox toolbar can have many more items visible
    at one time

    Peo Sjoblom

  12. #12
    shezageek
    Guest

    Re: Creating a bigger list in Data Validation

    No problem Norman...I actually figured that out once I got in there and
    realized this. No harm done. Thanks and best regards.

    news:uRVs%23Ka%[email protected]...

  13. #13
    shezageek
    Guest

    Re: Creating a bigger list in Data Validation

    Thanks Earl,
    yes, I discovered!!! Joy. and Thanks for your assistance